It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

mp3 player not working? NOW WORKING 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: mp3 player not working? NOW WORKING
Note that some of the solutions proposed will handle the incompatibilities for you so it's not as bad as all that. I'm just venting as the pissing contests over audio formats tends to get on my nerves. ;)

My own site currently uses the old Wordpress flash solution which I always liked. I've been looking into JPlayer as a possible solution so that my audio files will play on mobile.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Manny wrote:
EricTheGray wrote:
I'd like to make a pitch to switch to an HTML 5 based music player. It is very clear that Flash is (finally) on the way out and it would be great to be able to hear music postings on my mobile devices. Adobe has already announced that they are dropping support for Flash on all mobile devices including Android. I read this forum almost exclusively on my iPad. Here are some HTML 5 music players to consider. There are more out there, this is good start for experimenting.

http://html5socket.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85

Thanks for considering this.

-Eric

Done! The audio player is now HTML5 and no longer flash. Thanks for this push and resources!
Hi Manny, the JMP3 player actually worked on Firefox, but this HTML5 player does not work on Firefox, so I vote for JMP3 player.

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The jPlayer library will work on Firefox. Here's the supported list:

Windows: Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, IE6, IE7, IE8, IE9
OSX: Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Opera
iOS: Mobile Safari: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Android: Android 2.3 Browser
Blackberry: OS 7 Phone Browser, PlayBook Browser

It will fall back to Flash if HTML 5 is not supported. It's made to be part of the jQuery library which is the leading lib for lots of web site work these days. We teach jQuery to our last semester students. The list of browsers above comprises almost all web traffic at the time. Mobile traffic is growing rapidly and none of the mobile browsers will support flash soon.

Oh, the Firefox team has changed their mind and will be supporting MP3 at some point. It also supports it under Flash still.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The "supported list" is a little misleading though. jPlayer works on Firefox but only as much as Firefox supports HTML5 audio. In other words, it works great as long as you feed it an ogg voorbis file. It doesn't play MP3. I've also heard that Firefox is only planning on relaxing their stance against MP3 on the mobile version of their browser but not on the desktop (note: it's always entertaining watching grown people commit suicide). Either that will change or that browser will die.

I haven't looked into too many of the HTML5 solutions so some of the others might have put in hooks to use the fallback flash player on all versions of Firefox.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Admin

greg wrote:
Hi Manny, the JMP3 player actually worked on Firefox, but this HTML5 player does not work on Firefox, so I vote for JMP3 player.

No problem, I put back in the JMP3 (flash) audio player alongside GMP3 (HTML5); choice left to the user.

JMP3 on top, GMP3 below:

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Manny wrote:
greg wrote:

No problem, I put back in the JMP3 (flash) audio player alongside GMP3 (HTML5); choice left to the user.

JMP3 on top, GMP3 below:

Thanks, Manny, the jmp3 shows up on both safari and firefox, but the gmp3 does not show up on firefox.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery