It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:35 am

FREE HANDS ACADEMY 2016 REGISTRATION OPEN 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post FREE HANDS ACADEMY 2016 REGISTRATION OPEN
Hi ho Tap Nation, just a quick note to say - it's on.

Free Hands Academy is open for business. We expect to have a belated Free Hands Friday go out on Monday that will detail everything going on this year. Another massive program is in store for 2016, and right now, there's a bunch of ways to save on enrollment. To start, check out the REGISTRATION page for details. These prices are all inclusive, so there are no additional costs just as soon as you get on campus. If you want to know a little bit more about our program, check out the Mission Statement here.

Some of our special guests in the past have included Tony Levin, Alphonso Johnson and of course, Emmett Chapman. Emmett will be on campus for 2 full days this year, leading classes in improvisation, finding your third voice and a Master Class in Setup and Configuration of the Chapman Stick. We'll be announcing our complete roster of instructors over the next few weeks as Summer plans come together. And yes, this year, there will be a t-shirt!

We hope that you will be able to join us for another fantastic event in Los Angeles this August, cheers.

Sat May 07, 2016 4:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: FREE HANDS ACADEMY 2016 REGISTRATION OPEN
I should be there, if only to keep the joint from the appearance of a geriatrics club.

Seriously, though. I'd love to make it. Not in the cards. Price is right where it should be, but still too rich for my blood.

Have fun, gentlemen.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Mon May 09, 2016 10:27 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Actually Kevin, there were people of all ages, just like back in 2013 - the median age being somewhere in the mid 40's - right about our age. We had 3 female sitickist AND 1 female instructor. There were 17 full time attendees and 2 part time attendees back in 2013. 2014 saw our enrollment double in size, both with our instructors (up from 5 to 10) and our attendees (up from 17 to 33 and 1 part time attendee). We had attendees from Russia, Egypt, France, Canada, Chile, UK and from all over the US.

If you are able to make it out, this would be a great chance for you to meet many of the people you speak with everyday here on the Stickist. It doesn't matter what instrument you play - Warr Guitar, Skeletone, Megatar, they are all welcome here. Everyone of all ages and levels of play are welcome at the FHA as any former attendee will attest to. We eat, perform, setup / breakdown and live, love and learn music ALL DAY. There will plenty of opportunities to perform and great discounts on all Stick Enterprises gear!

I recall making an extra special effort to try and accommodate you in 2013 - that same offer still stands.

Tue May 10, 2016 9:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

earthgene wrote:
I recall making an extra special effort to try and accommodate you in 2013 - that same offer still stands.

I recall that as well, and I really appreciate the offer. I would truly love to be there. Unfortunately, I cannot commit to the event at this point. I hope it's a great one, and look forward to the reviews.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Tue May 10, 2016 9:45 am
Contributor
Contributor

I think I posted something similar to this elsewhere, but wanted to revive the discussion now that registration is open..

How would an utter novice/beginner benefit from attending FHA2016? Wouldn't it be better to know how to do more than open up the case before spending another grand on a seminar?

Don't get me wrong, I'm considering the trip, but I have to wonder what someone with almost 0 level of playing ability would get out of the weekend...

-M

Tue May 10, 2016 1:43 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Well, I went as a novice of sorts and this is the generality I got out of it:

1) Connections with professionals and auditioning Skype teachers of sorts.
2) Hands-on analysis of my beginning technique.
3) High level group lessons I took notes on to decode later.
4) The wellness that comes from being in a group of like-minded people.

There is no doubt that the experience is challenging. To ensure the value of the experience, there is little down time between some intense group sessions. I suppose the question you have to ask yourself is if you want that challenge now, or if you want to build your skills a bit first. It certainly is a big chunk of time and money, but only you can evaluate its worth to you, much like the Stick itself.

Without going, I could not have had access to Kevin Keith's take on creating new techniques for songs or on Tony Levin's take on how to EQ a band with a Stick vs. playing as a solo artist.

I was expecting the solo lesson to be extremely valuable, but it was by far the least valuable aspect. I learned much more from the group lessons. With the group lessons, the teacher has a plan and can implement that across levels of education and experience, while the individual lesson has no background at all.

Think about it.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

As a past free hands attendee, one of the best parts of the event was stick night. Watching the "great ones" perform was a treat.

Wed May 11, 2016 8:32 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yeah, I would have to agree with both of these last two statements. It depends on your learning language - do you learn from videos? Books? Ear training? It's going to vary for each individual as we all learn differently.

There is acceptance for each and every attendee, regardless of their level of experience, so to Daniel's point, you only have to be ready for the monumental amount of information that you are going to get from the experience. To this day I grit my teeth when I hear people saying they are practicing in anticipation of the FHA. We routinely get people who have never even so much as plugged their instrument in. Seriously, you will not be judged on how awesome you are on the Stick, that's just NOT how it works.

The FHA is focused on EFFORT vs. FEAR OF FAILURE. A great example of this was Dean Kobayashi. Dean had owned his NS Stick only a few months prior to the 2013 event. He was the first person to sign up in 2014 after having attended the 2013 program - he not only got to open up the Stick Night with Bob, Greg, Steve, Emmett, Gary, Dale and myself but he is also a semi permanent player for FHA events everywhere! He performed at the Guitar Merchant with Emmett and Don as well as at our 2014 NAMM event with Steve Adelson. He was featured in an FHF session and he now heads up the NorCal Stick Circle as well as his own dedicated NS Stick channel. All this in only his third year of playing. His effort can be directly tied to his current level of familiarity and expertise with the NS Stick. He's that good because he willed it into existence and the FHA has had his back all the way.

Your current level of play has no bearing whether you are ready or not. Only you can answer that. Remember the FHA exists to provide this knowledge - EVERY aspect of it. Posture, technique, practice principles as well as hands on experience with Emmett himself on setting up your instrument - changing strings, adjusting the truss - it will be of great value to know your instrument in this light and who better to learn from those that have been involved in the creation and evolution of the instrument.

Does anyone remember my monumental failure at the FHA 2013 Stick Night. Failed Jesu, also failed Wish You were here - right in front of EVERYONE. That moment was horrifying, really it was, but I've never had a moment like that since, thank goodness. Emmett came up to me afterwards and said, I'm so sorry about the performance and I just smiled because I knew that was going to be my learning experience for the year. It sucked at that moment and BAD, but it also "fixed" me. I let him know if was all part of my plan (although, it was not necessarily planned, I just had to learn it on my own...). It was only a failure at that moment, it has since become a cherished memory, one that has taught to be more planful.

Hearing from people that have previously attended the FHA program will be most qualified to answer your questions. For that matter, you can ask anyone that has attended Glenn Poorman's Interlaken event or Jim Meyer's Vancouver Stick Retreat. There are many others that have led events; Dave Brosky, Tony Rodriguez, Michael Bernier, Brett Bottomley and probably many others that I am leaving out - all very qualified in their own right to answer this question as well.

Wed May 11, 2016 2:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI2-xWgjgyE[/youtube]

I'll leave this here

Wed May 11, 2016 2:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

This is sensational, Andy. And the Rafart soundtrack is super-exciting!

Fun...and funny. And beautifully sincere.

I have some amazing footage that I NEED to get out there. You're in it, Greg Smith, Levin, the whole wonderful crew.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Fri May 13, 2016 8:54 pm