It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:53 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 cool techniques? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: cool techniques?
I would say the coolest technique I've developed lately is the the three-fingered bass technique.

I came up with it about a year and a half ago and it has become an integral part of my playing. It is such a successful way to navigate any bass situation in the 5ths, I cannot speak highly enough of it.

Though it's still relatively new and there is not much published about it, every one of my students who tries it sings its praises and recognizes how much easier it is to play grooving, tonally consistent basslines, and classical counterpoint lines. Jazz, funk, reggae, rock and roll, you name it...

I developed this technique to make playing the Bach Cello Suite prelude easier, and it worked so well I've re-arranged several pieces I play to include it.

The 4th finger is still used for chords in the left hand, but if it's one note at a time, it's three fingers, almost exclusively.

I'm currently working on a book that employs this technique exclusively. More about this soon, very soon.

in the meantime, here it is in action (with a little pinky time in a couple of places, but never in sequence with the 3rd finger, that sequence is what slows things down or makes them sloppy, IMO)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbWkDlPM8oI[/youtube]

Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

That was very nice, Greg. I love the Bach of course, and that's actually one of the few pieces I've seen played on Stick entirely just using the left hand. It actually looks very doable, for all of the nice finger movement back and forth. You of course make it look easy, but I'm a convert of the 3 fingered basslines now in Stick 5ths tuning. :)

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
A few months ago, I realized that all of the material written for this instrument was beyond me. Still is. How it's presented, beyond me. The material I was getting in my lessons, beyond me. The stuff my peers are playing, beyond me. The stuff my teacher is playing, beyond me. The stuff of my imagination, beyond me.

Now is that the fault of me, the student? No. It's just the situation is all. Adapt or die... I will solve it myself, and THAT friends, is what y'all are missing... How many others say, "fuck it, I will just figure this out myself." How many more say "fuck it, this is way too hard... If I really want to tap I can do it on a guitar".

How many guitar and piano method books are there out there? Violin? Drumset? Banjo!?! Recorder!!? Harmonica!?!

Want to innovate? Well, to those who are published, perhaps it's time for y'all to march on down to the music store, and buy the "Suzuki" method books for piano, and create a series of books geared towards the average 5 year old, levels 1-10 that are along those lines. Then perhaps create a series of corresponding repertoire books, and technique books. Or not. Lol

Say Jay, what's preventing you from using those Suzuki books? Or Bartok's lessons for children? The ideal pedagogy for this instrument existed long before the instrument itself.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

paigan0 wrote:
That was very nice, Greg. I love the Bach of course, and that's actually one of the few pieces I've seen played on Stick entirely just using the left hand. It actually looks very doable, for all of the nice finger movement back and forth. You of course make it look easy, but I'm a convert of the 3 fingered basslines now in Stick 5ths tuning. :)

This book was one of the first I learned from when I started playing:

It wasn't hard, even though the bass side had a different tuning. If people can play accordion (Emmett's first instrument, by the way), then dealing with different tunings on the Stick isn't such a big deal.

The only real challenge is close chord voicings in the left hand, definitely something that lead to compromises. Everything else just needs to have a coherent "strategy."

Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I love Greg's (Stick Enterprises) mean-looking face at the end. Almost as classic as the mean-looking face on the Bouree piece.

Bump to Greg's very fine Bouree piece!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq7ElueRp6Y[/youtube]

K Rex

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:47 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

K Rex wrote:
I love Greg's (Stick Enterprises) mean-looking face at the end. Almost as classic as the mean-looking face on the Bouree piece.
That's another good technique, Steve A., my "Stick Face," that I've been working on. I just need to remember to keep my mouth closed, and have that thoughtful, pensive look of the Stickist, Deep into Their Muse.

My Serious Stick Face

World Champion of Expressive Stick Face, Emmett Chapman

And one from Steve A, showing us how rock the Deep Think Stick Face:

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yo, Steve! That pic of Steve says, "IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!!!"

Heh,

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:18 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Well something cool I just tried today and really made a difference: you know I mostly play sitting right? So, after one year, I'm still on a constant path trying to find the perfect position for my height and hand size. The lap dawg is a wonderful tool but, for me, it never really gives me the angle my body is always looking for. So that un-angled belt hook sounded very appealing (still does, but I still haven't found the time to call SE asking them about it.) anyway, tried playing today with one of those little foot things classical guitars use, raising my left leg and it was like somebody lifted a ton from my left hand: the stick was even more vertical, the wrist was bending even less, and the stick weighted less... Not having to hold it gives me much more freedom and speed on the left hand. Anyway, I'm taking it on my gig tomorrow and see how it goes.
PS
Is there a way we could hold it with just the legs?

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:06 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Rodrigo, have you spent any time playing while standing,....with the belt hook and shoulder strap?
Dooder, to me this is most comfortable position...zero energy devoted to holding the instrument, it just hangs there nicely.....personally, I have a hard time sitting and playing....but thats just me, some guys dig it.

Still hoping for a guitar sling approach by Andy Prokyp (sp).....

Excuse the hijack S.A.

cheers,
Gno Gnu Trix

Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Rodrigo,

The DBro holder (inexpensive wood construct) sits nicely across the lap with the Stick angle controlled entirely by the angled cut-out. The weight distribution is better than with the Lap Dawg, with the detraction that it isn't a tiny object attaching to the back of the Stick. For seated play, it is the most comfortable object I have found. If you don't think the angle is vertical enough, it is simply to just alter the angle on your template and cut another one.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:05 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next