It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 8:16 pm

New Featured CD on stick.com - Japhlet Bire Attias 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post New Featured CD on stick.com - Japhlet Bire Attias
Hi Everyone,

The new CD feature at stick.com is Japhlet's amazing Japhlet Bire Attias.

Here's the short version:
Go out and buy this brilliant record by a very promising young artist and listen to it over and over. Nothing more I have to say can make the experience any better.

But if you'd like to find out why I like this new disc so much, please read on at:
http://www.stick.com/features/cd/

Thanks for such a great record, Japhlet.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: New Featured CD on stick.com - Japhlet Bire Attias
You should thank all the other artists whose ideas and songs encompass more than half of his album.

Tritone

Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:57 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for the info Greg & congratulations to Japhlet.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:30 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Thanks for the reminder ... I haven't ordered this disc yet. After hearing some of Japhlet's LIVE work on U-Tube I have to get this disk. I'm especially blown away by how he adapted and played ELP's "Trilogy" on the Stick. Many recording artist play "cover tunes" in a mix with their originals on their CD's. The trick is making them your own! From just what I've heard on u-tube Japhlet has done an amazing job at pulling off that very difficult task. Imagine ... Trilogy, a Keith Emerson piano master piece played on the Stick!!! Truly a musical accomplishment in and of itself! My hats off to you Japhlet.

You or SE will be getting my order soon Japhlet!!!!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Last edited by 88persuader on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I think the descending run at the beginning of "Trilogy" is especially wonderful.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Xfk3EHU_o[/youtube]

Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:30 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

adde65 wrote:
Thanks for the info Greg & congratulations to Japhlet.

Cheers,
Andy

You're welcome, Andy.

One of my favorite things about what I do is listening to Stick CDs, and hearing how the art of playing the instrument and recording it is evolving. As a "self-producer," I really admire what he's done here.

Japhlet's already posted a bit about making this record in this thread:

http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1077

And I'm hoping he'll chime in a bit more on the subject.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hello to all,
Thanks so much to Greg for such a wonderful introduction.
Thank you very much from deep down inside to everyone who has commented, posted, listened and bought the music. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do...
I am in central Mexico right now promoting the CD and the Stick, and it is going very well. I have had an interview with Guanajuato University radio, one coming up on Irapuato radio as well as some newspapers and shows at malls, outside on the street, museums, and private events for the city. The CD is on sale at local shops in Minneapolis, and now at some in Irapuato and Guanajuato. I hope to take the shows to neighboring states before heading to Spain.
As was already stated, the CD is a mix of many styles and instruments in what I tried to make a cohesive story. 9 out of the 16 actual "songs" are mine (Electrio is the name of a band I formed not too long ago, and are my originals). There are some extra songs available as downloads on a page specified inside the CD cover. I am also working on translating some Mexican "Boleros" to the stick, and they sound very nice. I'll post some as soon as they are recorded.
The covers included in the CD are well varied, and are a reinforcement to the past I owe so much to, also as a contrast to the present and future I tried to represent in my songs.
People who have never heard the Stick will hear some familiar tunes, maybe in a way they had never heard before, and I always enjoy hearing songs I like in new formats and with different arrangements. Even in a tiny town in the middle of Mexico, I have found people who love Amelie, or ELP, and it is very gratifying to have them hear, recognize, and like the new sounds... Those who prefer other styles, or sounds will also find some things they like, and the CD offers many surprises each time it is played.
I look forward to reading your comments on the music (once you've listened, of course :-)) and hope you all enjoy it.
Thanks to Greg, Ray, Andy, and Vijith for your comments and wonderful support!!!
I think the greatest thanks I can give to the composers of the other songs is recording their music, as anything I could say would be insufficient. And I think it worked, as I was extremely humbled and proud to receive word from Keith Emerson that he really enjoyed the CD, and apparently didn't read the song list before listening, as he was very surprised to hear such familiar music at track #8, and said it was one of his favorite versions, together with the Kevin Eubank's Band's version...
One of the nicest things that can happen to a musician...
I love the Stick...
Happy New year to all!!

Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:53 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Japhlet- congratulations on this honor, and well deserved one!

I have had the privilege of playing at the 1st Annual Stickfest on the bill along with Japhlet, as well as being with him at other seminars.

To our uninitiated readers ( and I hope there is not many), he is sincere in everything he does, in playing and in life, soft spoken, conscientious, generous with his talent and has a real passion for the Stick. His trio at the time, the Pan-Metropolitan Trio, was simply amazing- I have never heard tuba, yes I said tuba, playing complex prog and jazz lines, supported by intuitive voicings on the Stick by Japhlet and a drummer who made a Catalina set sound like an orchestra.

His latest CD is an extension of this visionary performer and a real joy to listen. His thread is inspiring to answer the questions of musical fulfillment in making an album. Greg listed the link above, and I could not do it justice, even with a lifted quote.

To my friend, again great kudos and all the praise is well deserved.
dave brosky - Pittsburgh

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Wow, Dave, thank you very much...
Great memories from the seminars, and the festival... Great songs too. I remember each one... I can actually still hear Lou Reed´s song and your strings from the Festival when I think about it...
Thanks for your great energy and friendship.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:15 pm