It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:32 am

Life changes and teaching 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Life changes and teaching
greg wrote:
Dear Stickists,

As some of you know, my Mom has been in hospice for a while. She finally passed on May 30. I have been spending a lot of time with her, often just practicing in her room quietly. It was a remarkable experience, the power of music to soothe and comfort is amazing.

My parents were both very supportive of my music. I found out after my Dad passed that he would often go to sleep with a cassette of mine playing on his night stand (usually Whispers or Sticks and Stones), and they both came to hear me perform as often as they could. Though Dad would ever "cheer" my decision to be musician openly, I think he was afraid that it was too unstable a path and he grew up in the Great Depression, he was also a musician, a trumpet player, and I know he got some vicarious joy from my pursuit of it.

I'm very glad to have had the opportunity to be there for them, to give back the gift they gave me through both nature and nurture.

My goal is not to make this a thread for well-wishing, though I know many of you are really kind and would do so. Please take the time it would take to write such thoughts here to write a message to a loved one, telling them how much they mean to you, or just reflect on the support you've had along the way.

TEACHING
My schedule will now be more regular, so if I was unable to accommodate your interest in lessons recently, please get back in touch. I should also be able to participate more on the forum as well. Sorry to have been so infrequent here.

Please send any inquiries to my email stickist@aol.com, rather than using the forum pm function.

Very sorry for your loss, Greg. Thank you for sharing this positive story at a time of sorrow.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Condolences Greg. A good reminder to appreciate love in the presence of love.

Harry

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:21 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

"My goal is not to make this a thread for well-wishing, though I know many of you are really kind and would do so. Please take the time it would take to write such thoughts here to write a message to a loved one, telling them how much they mean to you, or just reflect on the support you've had along the way." -Greg-

Sorry for your loss Greg. I was available for a dear friend in hospice, a mentor, a piano teacher. My girlfriend and I went over, me with my Stick, her with her voice. He told her her voice was beautiful. He told me to practice my scales...

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sorry to hear about your loss, Greg. It's really hard. I lost a girlfriend a few months ago, and it messes me up from time to time. I'm glad to have the Chapman Stick and Railboard in my life, as it helps me to relax.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:25 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

So sorry for your loss. May you be surrounded with love at such a hard time.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

greg wrote:

My goal is not to make this a thread for well-wishing, though I know many of you are really kind and would do so. Please take the time it would take to write such thoughts here to write a message to a loved one, telling them how much they mean to you, or just reflect on the support you've had along the way.

Am I the only one who reads??
Nice sentiments, all of you, though.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:47 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

sagehalo wrote:

Nope!

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:52 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Balt-A-Sar wrote:
greg wrote:
...My goal is not to make this a thread for well-wishing...

...of course not, but to share the sorrow is human and great...

When someone expresses some heartfelt human emotion, and then says there's no need to respond, some us feel like we want to respond anyway. Because we're feeling, caring humans who sympathize with a friend we know and respect. I'm pretty sure we can all read, for those who have concerns about it. :)

My wife keeps telling me she doesn't need a birthday present, yet she never seems to be mad that I disobeyed her wishes in that regard. I DID thank a family member for their support, and called my own mother, like Greg requested, but I also felt like I wanted him to hear that we're here, and we appreciate him and his experiences, which he shared with us.

--Heartfully and literately,
Steve

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

sagehalo wrote:
greg wrote:

Nice sentiments, all of you, though.
Hi Daniel,

Kindness is always cool, but thanks for reading closely. for the rest of you, who are the people in all your lives who support your musical self?

To Rob Martino,

Rob, I found this photo from the family wedding you attended back in 2010, it's one of my favorites.

Attachment:
WeddingBookV2-342.jpg

and to begin again, her name was Beverly...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery