It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:37 am

20 years of "Water on the Moon" 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post 20 years of "Water on the Moon"
Hi everyone,

I can't believe it's been 20 years since that fateful night at Miller's when I recorded this one-hour non-stop imrov piece.. Intending to record several shows and take bits from each, I hit the road listening and trying to figure out which bits to excerpt. But it only made sense to me as one long piece of music. Good news, as my 7th CD release was finished!

I originally released it as a single track on CD, but people found it difficult to skip around to the parts they liked. Now it's available again as a single audio file for download.

You can listen to it for free online or pay to download (only $7 for the whole recording) at BandCamp, in the file format of your choosing:

https://greghoward.bandcamp.com/album/water-on-the-moon

Thanks to all of you who have picked this up over the years.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: 20 years of "Water on the Moon"
I had just put that on yesterday to play for a guy I gave a car ride to who had no English (and I have no Spanish)

FWIW I like the single file thing...it just seems to be a episodic flow? I guess would be the right words...temporally ordered?

aw, just listen to it in order

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:48 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I listen to this fairly often, only ever the entire album, waiting only long enough to be surprised by its progression.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:27 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Excellent CD.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

This cd is an entire vocabulary for the stick. Very satisfying.

Harry

Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:18 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

This is the first CD I ever purchased by a Chapman Stick artist and it remains one of my all time favorite musical pieces. At the time I was just beginning to discover long form music by artists such as The Necks and Brian Eno and this CD fit right in with these artists. As an improvised piece, it also sits beautifully with spontaneous composition artists like Keith Jarrett. Bravo, Greg.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:38 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

FWIW - I asked Beverly to come with me to be with a wall of mitridium - a strange cathedral..uttering her name underwater as with spells of...not summoning...just invitation

If the connection is literal or figurative....down there it doesn't work that way. I hope/trust that .... lthere is no translation ...like music...I always thought it was funny in school when a teacher would ask "what does the author mean by that?". Well, the author said that because if there was a better expression they would have used the better expression

ever take a photo of a sunrise knowing full well all it's going to be is a red circle that doesn't capture the fact that you can't breath for like a minute and that it's just a bookmark, not the narrative? like that

anyway, if nothing else (and there is much much more) - karma in Sanskrit essentially means work, the work that carries forward making our world...and watching you talk Greg, your positive, welcoming, clear..integrating both a logical and artistic sense comes from somewhere
as my gran used to say "well, he didn't lick it off the floor"

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:44 pm