It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:07 am

KEEP THE FAITH (IN YOURSELF) - DBRO 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post KEEP THE FAITH (IN YOURSELF) - DBRO
Don’t lose belief in yourself and in your talents.

I recently had to talk 3 excellent musicians “off the ledge” of giving up on music entirely. I also had Stick Skype students come back to help them get out of a “rut”.

These are not hobby players or set ups at the farmer’s market, no these are local legends all very accomplished and respected in their fields- classical, jazz and rock. There are also my closest friends. I never expected, of all the musicians, for them to express complete doubt and a manifestation to outright quit. They are back, centered and all thanked me. All I did was point out that THEY are inspirations to younger players and that the world needs to hear their talent. I am saying the same to all of you.

The pandemic caused a disruption and one of the largest collateral damage was to gigs. When restaurants, bars and venues closed, so did the livelihood of many musicians. But it also closed down the hope of many aspiring musicians of performing anywhere or getting on stage. The ones on the cusp of taking that leap.

I felt it. My contracted gigs were cancelled. I hadn’t played in over a year and a half. Worst, my agent after 17 years folded her business. However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it isn’t a train!

The gigs are back and here are some ideas to help you get out there and let people enjoy your talent. Daniel (SageHalo) Marks and I wrote a tome,... errr, guide on gigs.
Please check it out here on Stickist.com. Meanwhile...

The best place to find the gigs are at outside venues- especially micro breweries, wineries, and restaurants with an outdoor patio. Summer’s here and the time is right not only for dancin’ in the streets, but to play these venues. Restaurants, who have been hurting through all this, are just getting back on their feet and may be reluctant to add “another cost” on the budget, but you never know, especially if you show them you are a draw with a unique instrument- the Stick. I made a joke about the farmer’s market but actually you can hear some great music being made while picking out some basil and Summer Savory.

Concert venues are getting back in full swing. Tom G is out on the road in a big way. Although you may not open for Crimson, you could open for a 90’s hair band on its last legs! Check with the promoter if they allow locals on the bill for the show. You just never know. A big promoter here asked me to think about what shows to open and what might fit.

More importantly pick up your Stick! You didn’t buy a Ferrari to leave it collect dust in the garage. Think of why you bought it- exploration of new harmonic journeys or you just like Tony Levin and want to prance in front of a mirror- EITHER ONE IMHO is just as valid. It doesn’t matter how we came to this wonderful instrument, it just matters we came and now we are here to make incredible music with it.

Finally, set low goals. Yup, LOW goals- they are attainable, you feel like you accomplished something, you can check it off your list and it’s measurable as progress. Baby steps NOT Jamaican Cliff diving. It could be as simple as finding every “c” on each string. So you have 10 or 12 to go through, use a tuner if you don’t have a chart. This actually is a great goal because you learn the fingerboard, how the notes relate to each other, and how the tuning works on both sides.

I hope this helps. I don’t want to see any Stickist left behind, forgotten or lost.
Take Care, and believe in yourself, I do!
DBro

Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: KEEP THE FAITH (IN YOURSELF) - DBRO
Thank you for this, DBro! It was very inspirational and much needed.

~T

#5484 Padauk 12 String Grand Stick, PASV-4 MR
#5727 Osage Orange 10 String Stick, PASV-4 MR

- Ted

Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Just as I was reading this encouragement post. ( which was excellent).a guitar player called me and asked me if I was interested in playing my Stick at a big 4 day church meeting outside at a National Park here where I live.The tent meetings are exclusively open to all people. It’s mid down town . Thanks again. Not a coincidence just a Devine confirmation.

Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks Dave

https://www.youtube.com/c/BrianBaggett306

Lap Bars: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/chapma ... -lap-bars/
TAGG Interface: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/tagg-interface/

Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:24 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I love that Dave Brosky is on our side.

+1 for all Stickists

Thanks for this great bit Dave :D

Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I have days where everything sounds like crap and I want give up and sell everything for a double cheeseburger. (I actually told a friend that once) Invariably the next day, OR the next, I play something that tickles me to no end. Thanks DBro. DON'T GIVE UP GUYS.

Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Nice post Dave. I have to admit, after 40 years of practicing at least one hour per day…… I have stopped and I’m not sure if I will ever get back to music the way I once was…… Music is really hard. Music takes a lot out of me. If I ever come back it will have to be in a very different way.

Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Hey BB, you burnt out? You've put yourself through Marine training and come out the other side with incredible chops and sensitive ears. Why not "lay back" with the execution of your ideas?

Stick is very friendly with drums, percussion and almost all other instruments (voice too). You know how to listen, to separate your performing self from rhythmic and harmonic cooperation in a group. A sustained note goes a long way. A whole note can be as powerful as 32 32nd notes - just different textures in the music. You can glide, you can ride off of a busy and dynamic drummer. It all has its place.

That way, you become more conscious of the harmony and your two-handed lines (or dialogue) become more melodic, left hand too. Hope you have a drummer whose mind you can read.

Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:31 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

While the entire world is changing around me, I can still escape with my music.
Thank you Emmett, for making such an interesting and fun instrument. 8-)
When combined with the Helix Floor, the sonic capabilities are endless.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:53 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

A quick thank you to Dave and Emmett! I’m starting to play again. Looking to get as much enjoyment as I can from music! Thanks for the encouragement

Brett

Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery