It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:32 am

Stick schedule and teaching 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Stick schedule and teaching
Stick teachers are disappearing as well. If you see any free information on the internet, download it to your hard drive. I've been saving any and all videos, books, lessons, etc.

The younger generation pride themselves as being smart by searching for everything online. When these online resources disappear, an entire generation will be left hopelessly in the dark.

If you have the ability to take lessons from Steve, take them now, as they might not always be available.
ignis32 wrote:
Stick learning materials disappear one by one. And not like that was a lot, compared to other instruments. That's really sad.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:51 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ignis32 wrote:
In the same time, I am somewhat confused why all Stick related learning videos from all mentors are still sold only as DVDs.

Greg released his DVD to youtube.

Have you checked out the 'Instruction Recorded' section of my list?

http://www.david-wright.co.uk/music/stickists/#Instruction_Recorded

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:54 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

"If you have the ability to take lessons from Steve, take them now, as they might not always be available "

It has been extremely gratifying to witness all my student's progress in understanding the nature and creating music on the Chapman Stick. From basic triads and multi tasking parts to fancy harmonies and sophisticated improvs, the evolution is rewarding on both sides. Vocabulary, technique, repertoire, and groove are features I explore in my personal practice time. Sharing these discoveries has always been the main mission when I'm in my instructional mode.
Looking forward to teaching at the Vancouver seminar in 2 weeks.

Steve Adelson

Last edited by Lee Vatip on Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
"If you have the ability to take lessons from Steve, take them now, as they might not always be available "

It has been extremely gratifying to witness all my student's progress in understanding the nature and creating music on the Chapman Stick. From basic triads and multi tasking parts to fancy harmonies and sophisticated improvs, the evolution is rewarding on both sides. Vocabulary, technique, repertoire, and groove are features I explore in my personal practice time. Sharing these discoveries has always been the main mission when I'm in my instructional mode.
Looking forward to teaching at the Vancouver seminar in 2 weeks.

Steve Adelson

Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

>> If you see any free information on the internet, download it to your hard drive

I agree. Due to the risks involved into trusting clouds and internet of storing valuable data - I am hoarding all the Stick materials I could find, since decided to buy Stick, even if they seem easily obtainable.

Storing them in three places - Google cloud, my own laptop and an external usb disk drive. If all that would be destroyed at once - I think that means that I would be busy hunting radioactive rats for food, rather than learning music.

Thanks to that, I have local copies of the vanished Crane books and lessons for example.
Same applies to all instructional videos I've found, I have my own backups.

>> Have you checked out the 'Instruction Recorded' section of my list?

Great, thank you David, found "Stick with Alex" and "Tap theory" videos I was not aware of, even if I search Youtube for everything Stick-related quite regularly. Already fetched them for my treasury.

>> "If you have the ability to take lessons from Steve, take them now, as they might not always be available "

Makes sense, but I am a hobby musician without proper basic musical education who plays only for his cat - and on top of that - even not a native English speaker. At this point it would be a waste of Steve's valuable time.

P.S. Funny coincidence: "Steve has been teaching The Stick since 1985", just since my birth.

MR 10 Railboard #7142

Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:27 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

"P.S. Funny coincidence: "Steve has been teaching The Stick since 1985", just since my birth"

Discovering The Stick was my rebirth !

SA

Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery