It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Greg Howard Songbook 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: The Greg Howard Songbook
grandstick wrote:
a simple Michael Hedges tune

Oxymoron!

Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:57 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

dbrosky wrote:
The most important part of the book is page 8, 4th paragraph, line 5, 17 words over. :D

8-)

Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:01 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks, Dave for such a kind first review. I'll be lucky if everyone things as highly of the book as you.

And also thanks to Paul for thinking of passing the music on to his son.

I really appreciate all the enthusiasm for the book, and I'm happy to have made another resource for teachers of the method to use as well.

Dave, you had some great learning tools in Pittsburgh, and we all have our own ways of doing things, so I'm happy to know you'll be teaching my material to others, too.

I promise to wrap up the CD as soon as I can. Hopefully some new videos of these tunes will be coming along soon as well, in HD, with lots of closeups. Nothing like seeing the hands in motion.

Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Big thanks and congrats to Greg for the songbook!

I've been spending the last few days with it and I must say the layout is great. The mini-lessons and exercises that accompany each song are such pedagogically forward-thinking components.

I've been tapping for years on differently tuned Sticks, mostly in the Bass or Bass+ style, and have only in the last couple of years decided to tackle the polyphonic style that the Stick affords so well. I think Greg's book comes just at the right time for me as I'm looking to build some repertoire along with working on my technique.

I've been working through the tunes on my BM 10-string because I've found going through the mental "+2" hoop with the fingerings on my MR Grand to be a little cumbersome. That's good though, the 10-string has been neglected lately! I want to learn the tunes with Greg's fingerings first so I figure doing it this way will make it simple to transfer to MR later once the tunes are under the fingers. Regardless, the refinements to the StaffTab™ system are very welcome.

All in all it's a great resource and I expect to be getting cozy with this spiral-bound beast for quite some time.

Dave Huff

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:42 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

stringtapper wrote:
Big thanks and congrats to Greg for the songbook!

I've been spending the last few days with it and I must say the layout is great. The mini-lessons and exercises that accompany each song are such pedagogically forward-thinking components.

I've been tapping for years on differently tuned Sticks, mostly in the Bass or Bass+ style, and have only in the last couple of years decided to tackle the polyphonic style that the Stick affords so well. I think Greg's book comes just at the right time for me as I'm looking to build some repertoire along with working on my technique.

I've been working through the tunes on my BM 10-string because I've found going through the mental "+2" hoop with the fingerings on my MR Grand to be a little cumbersome. That's good though, the 10-string has been neglected lately! I want to learn the tunes with Greg's fingerings first so I figure doing it this way will make it simple to transfer to MR later once the tunes are under the fingers. Regardless, the refinements to the StaffTab™ system are very welcome.

All in all it's a great resource and I expect to be getting cozy with this spiral-bound beast for quite some time.

Dave Huff

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind comments.

One major goal I had with this book was to show the validity of the 10-string instrument, especially with Emmett's inverted 5ths bass tuning. 12 string instruments are great (I have 2), but there's something about playing the 10-string that feels really great. Maybe its the narrower board, I don't know.

I find things are easier to see on 5 strings than 6 as well.

The emphasis on position-shifting in the melody throughout the book is designed to help the 10-string player take advantage of the fretboard's range, something that is not immediately obvious if you tend to stay in scale positions.

how to get the book...
For those interested the book is available from SE or you can order it direct from me for the following prices (including shipping):

US: $41
Canada: $43
all other countries $50

These are probably the same as getting it from SE, so if you're thinking about getting it from them, please do. I have no preference.

check or money order in US$ payable to "Espresso" to:

Espresso
P O Box 4051
Charlottesville VA 22903-1051
USA

You can also use PayPal. Email me and I will tell you what PayPal address to use.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has tried using the book with an MR Grand yet? (besides Dave, who also has a BM 10-string).

Is adding the extra fret numbers too much of a pain?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
Just curious if anyone has tried using the book with an MR Grand yet?

I have dabbled...it's not too onerous, imho.

Maybe the next edition could have pull-the-tab style pages? ;)

Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:48 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has tried using the book with an MR Grand yet? (besides Dave, who also has a BM 10-string).

To be honest, I didn't try very long. :oops:

I guess I was trying to concentrate on the fingerings so much that I started to get frustrated with having to deal with the adjustment at the same time and then finally said "Hey wait a minute, I have a Baritone Melody instrument!" Maybe I just can't read Staff Tab very well. :(

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:10 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
Hi all,

I'm on 12-string MR and I'm going to take a serious look and report back. Just as soon as I get the book, that is. :)

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Last edited by EricTheGray on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I've spent a bit of time with Greg's new Song Book, and I've got to say it's a great resource for the Stick community. To me, the book really fills a gap that exists in the current Stick literature by being less of a 'Stick Reference Manual' and more of a complete, integrated approach towards getting better at the instrument. Maybe it's because it's more similar to the way I originally learned instruments when I was younger – via playing increasingly complex songs and arrangements rather than jumping right into charts of LH chords, etc. . . . Fundamentally, I like the songs & they're fun to learn. I'm enjoying my practice time more than ever. Thanks again Greg!

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next