It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:44 pm

RIP Tom Saunders 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post RIP Tom Saunders
When it rains it pours.

Tom Saunders also passed away over the weekend. Won't mean much to people who aren't from the Detroit area but Saunders was somewhat of a jazz legend around Detroit. He was a fantastic trumpeter and formed a band called the Surfside Six who performed all over and had a regular gig at a Detroit area club called the Presidential Inn.

My parents were children of the Big Band era and were fans of Saunders. They used to take me to see him when I was a kid. In addition to being a great trumpeter and band leader, Saunders was also very generous with aspiring young jazz players providing opportunities for them to learn the ropes with his band. A lot of great jazz guys from the Detroit area owe a debt of gratitude to Saunders. He will be missed.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery