It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 am

Stick® Tech Workshop and Concert: Charlottesville, March 27 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Stick® Tech Workshop and Concert: Charlottesville, March
RichSnyder wrote:
Just sent the PayPal. Looking forward to the workshop.

There's still room in case anyone is interested:

http://thesoundstudios.net/blog/

Concert info at the top. Scroll down the page a little for the workshop info.

Looking forward to debuting a couple of new tunes on the Ten String Grand.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn on India Rd Friday and Saturday night. If anyone is going to be around, PM me and I'll send you my cell #, maybe we can hook up.

PS - not that kind of "hook up". Heh.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:43 am

Quote:
I'm staying at the Hampton Inn on India Rd Friday and Saturday night. If anyone is going to be around, PM me and I'll send you my cell #, maybe we can hook up.

PS - not that kind of "hook up". Heh.

Hey Rich,
I am coming down from New Jersy Friday afternoon for the seminar. I'll be staying at the red roof inn. Give me a call, I should be in around 7:00.

Tim Larsen

Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:50 am

Yes, everybody within range, please go to this. The technical angle substantially diverges from and nicely complements what you'd get at any other more typical Stick seminar (which you should also go to, of course) and the band Greg will be playing with at the show is killer. Rob's no slouch either.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:19 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

vijithassar wrote:
Yes, everybody within range, please go to this. The technical angle substantially diverges from and nicely complements what you'd get at any other more typical Stick seminar (which you should also go to, of course) and the band Greg will be playing with at the show is killer. Rob's no slouch either.

Thanks, Vijith,

The last Stick Tech, which you hosted at the MRC, was a bit broader-based. This one will not be featuring anything having to do with MIDI or looping, but I've got some cool demos worked out to show how processing influences waveforms and articulations, both very interactive with playing.

And it looks like the DBR Ten String Grand will make 4 tunes on the night, including three new originals. I'm getting quite excited, actually 8-)

Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi foilks,

The workshop was a lot of fun for me. Always great to explore the tech-side of The Stick, and I hope it was instructive for those who came. If there was anything not covered that you would like to see more on, please let me know.

My favorite aspect of it is was developing the synergy between how you play and what you hear, as it relates to everything in between.

I heard lots of great comments from people about Rob's set, so there's a fan base building for you here in C-Ville, Rob. Your sound through that big PA was really glorious.

I had a blast playing. What fun to play with really great musicians. We did almost all original material (Tomorrow Never Knows being the only exception) including some new pieces composed for the DBR Ten String Grand ("Rain Dodgers" and "Waiting for Ernie" 8-) among them). This instrument has an amazing sound and is a real treat to play.

Videos and pics soon.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

It was a great time and like Greg said, one of the best rooms I've experienced in terms of sound quality. Greg and his supporting band were top notch, the combination of great performances and sound made for a really memorable experience. The second half of my set had a bit too many "crash and recover" moments but it was still fun to play for a nice audience.

The workshop hit particularly close to home as I am finishing up my Stick album- some great ideas on compression and EQ that would have been valuable to know before I got the album mastered :shock: but it helped me to listen to my music from a different perspective and further appreciate what the mastering engineer was able to bring out in the mixes. I'll still try some ideas to see if the improvements are worth another pass on the mastering.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'm really wondering what subjects have been discussed in this workshop. Greg, if you come back in Europe at some point, it could be a nice idea to have such a workshop here!

Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hey Greg,

As always, I had a great time. Looking forward to implementing your ideas into some recordings. I have one song that I am going to re-record my stick track this week. I'm sure it will be a big improvement over my previous method.

This was the first time I got to see you play with a band vs solo performing. I was very impressed both the players and the room you played in. Your new songs seemed to translate well with the guys you were playing with and the Stick being the glue in the middle. My personal favorite one was Waiting for Ernie. DBR, WOW, sounds more like a bass than most basses I've heard, not to mention you played the bejesus outta that thang. I'm sure Ernie will be pleased.

Finally, I just want to say that James and Mark from The Sound Studio really did a great job with hosting the workshop and the concert. I was very impressed with both their facility and their professional expertise, and the fact that they are some great guys didn't hurt either.

Thanks Again,

Tim

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:20 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

larsyn wrote:
Hey Greg,

As always, I had a great time. Looking forward to implementing your ideas into some recordings. I have one song that I am going to re-record my stick track this week. I'm sure it will be a big improvement over my previous method.

This was the first time I got to see you play with a band vs solo performing. I was very impressed both the players and the room you played in. Your new songs seemed to translate well with the guys you were playing with and the Stick being the glue in the middle. My personal favorite one was Waiting for Ernie. DBR, WOW, sounds more like a bass than most basses I've heard, not to mention you played the bejesus outta that thang. I'm sure Ernie will be pleased.

Finally, I just want to say that James and Mark from The Sound Studio really did a great job with hosting the workshop and the concert. I was very impressed with both their facility and their professional expertise, and the fact that they are some great guys didn't hurt either.

Thanks Again,

Tim
Hi Tim (and Rob and Rich and Bruno)

For those who came to the workshop, I was really glad you got to see the concert. It seemed like a good way to point to many of the elements covered in the workshop, and Rob's raw tracks also helped. It's a huge subject, really. The instrument's sound can be very simple, and very complex, depending on the situation.

Much of the sound comes from the hands, so technique is always there to think about, too. Free Hands is still a nascent art form, and this layer of technology adds much breadth to the potential for how to present it in a workshop setting.

So Bruno, I'd love to come and do something similar in France sometime. What's French for "ground loop"?

I'll try to get a couple videos up from the show over the weekend. I haven't even had time to look at them yet.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery