It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:50 am

Prog Mag, Stick Rocks 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Prog Mag, Stick Rocks
I just got the Autumn 2010 issue of Progression magazine and was very pleasantly surprised to see quite a lot more Stick presence than usual, including Stick artists' CD reviews and promotional ads, and a feature story on Tony's "Stick Men" trio and their new "Soup" CD (Tony Levin and Michael Bernier on Sticks and drummer Pat Mastelloto on "sticks").

Also, the magazine itself seems more polished and attractive than ever, with Porcupine Tree as the cover story, and with many of the articles and reviews written by editor/publisher John Collinge, who always brings a broad perspective to the prog rock genre - it must be his passion and I do know what that's like.

First thing I noticed was Boris Bazurov's commanding countenance peering at me from behind his graphite Stick - a full page ad on the back cover. Then I opened the magazine and the first feature was "Stirring 'Soup' with two Sticks", written by Collinge with emphasis on "Stick Men's" interpretation of Stravinsky's "Firebird Suite".

Then came Tony's ad for the trio, then Rob Martino's ad for his "One Cloud" debut CD, then our SE full page ad featuring three new prog releases by Stick artists Mauricio Sotelo of Cabezas de Cera, Stick Men of course, and Rob's solo album.

Then there were two CD reviews, including John Collinge's write-up of music ethnologist Bazurov's "Echo of Pagan Russia", and Jason Rubin's review of Rob's "One Cloud" CD with some considerable praise of substance. Rob's music is likened to the ground breaking "Aerial Boundaries" and his technique is described as a more "pure" use of The Stick.

An excellent issue (I must say), and one you might want to pick up and keep. My gratitude to all concerned and to John, who navigates the mothership.

All the Best, Emmett.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:25 pm