It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 pm

Goodbye Stick People 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Goodbye Stick People
I felt the same way about reed and wind instruments.

Don't feel bad, ejan. It takes fortitude to know when to cut your losses and you, sir, showed fortitude.

So what kind of a Stick did you have and how much you want to part with it? :lol:

SB8 Stick Bass #5509, Standard 4th Tuning, Rosewood w/Linear Inlaid Frets

Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Goodbye Stick People
I can relate. I had a 12 string grand that I purchased, and the instrument and I just never could click right. Half of me thinks that a 12 string grand was just "too big" for me, in a literal sense. I'm a small guy with small hands, and working my way around both sets of strings was challenging. I ended up even completely restringing my stick in a way to make it easier for my hands to reach, but it still didn't work so much. I think maybe if I had a 10 string, things might have been a bit more manageable for me.

Another think, to be perfectly frank (and I know there was a discussion thread about this a long time back, and I wasn't alone) but I really did not like the way I had to hold the stick. The belt hook just wasn't comfortable for me and made playing awkware. Sure that might not be the best reason to give for not playing, but to me it was important.

I've recently been thinking about getting an NS/Stick (anyone selling one perhaps?) though, and was something maybe I should have looked at a lot closer when i was originally buying my stick. It seems from the videos that its far more open to a guitar mentality than a normal stick is, so that might be something that could appeal to you.

When I sold my stick a year ago, I never thought I'd really come back here. I actually purchased a Harpejji and enjoy that (and in many respects, find it far more difficult to play than when I was trying the stick), but there's just something about being a guitarist (or stickist) that has always appealed to me, and now I'm back and looking for another stick, so I guess you can say I've come full circle (or at least on my way there).

Who knows, maybe you will too.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:00 am