It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:41 am

Goodbye Stick People 

Post Goodbye Stick People
Today I played a Stick for the first time, I was trying out a 10-String Chapman Stick that is for sale here in FL. I quickly came to the realization that I will not be a Stick player. I never would have thought I was one of those people that don't enjoy it right off. I was really looking forward to buying a Stick and learning how to make all the fabulous music I've heard since I learned about the Stick. But after messing around with it for a few minutes I realized this was not for me and I'll try to explain why without getting too lengthy.
I knew the first time I picked up a pool cue and made my first shot that I wanted to play billiards again. The first time I strummed a guitar I knew I wanted to play forever. I never felt that when I played a Stick today. Here are some of the reasons that led me this conclusion.
I discovered that not only would I have to relearn the mapping of the notes and relearn scales, I would also have to relearn how to touch a fretboard. I have a tendency to press hard on strings due to many years of acoustic guitar playing and that does not bode well on a Stick.
I am a sloppy guitar player. I found the Stick required a level of precision that I would not be able to attain.
I realized that the Stick is not made for my style of rock and roll. Sure I've seen people play progressive rock and rock oriented material on the Stick but the tuning on the stick I played, deep baritone, is not ready to rock. The guitar is ready to rock, you can play three easy barre chords and boom, you are rocking. As a bonus you can play three chords after a few beers and if things get a little loose its OK. I'm afraid the Stick is not so forgiving.
So Stick People, I will not be joining your gracious community because I don't belong here. This instrument is not for me. Although I wanted it, I dreamed of it, I spent many hours imagining what it would be like, I was disappointed and confused to find out I was wrong. Along the way I also discovered something about myself, I'm a guitar player and that is not going to change.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:20 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Goodbye Stick People
Hi ejanuska,

Even for someone like me who isn't really active it's still a bummer to see a member possibly go.

While I think you are jumping the gun here, and no doubt many of the following posts will try to convince you of that, if you didn't feel a connection it can't really be forced.
I hope you still hang around, if only for the good music and good folk here to talk music with ;)

Also, consider some points before writing the stick off for good: it might not be properly set up, there are several tunings available, it could have been just a bad first date, I think you can play the Stick pretty "dirty", you can barre [kinda] the Stick ;) or at least powerchord it! with both hands!, and I can't think of anything else ;P

cheers from an amateur stickista.

Skype Me™!

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:25 pm
Contributor
Contributor

this may help u:

do u think Jimi hendrix or eddie van halen just picked up a guitar and after a " few mins" was an expert on the guitar... i would say no....Hell I have owned my stick for almost 2 yrs now...i am moving into to now playing the stick more....
something inspired u to get a stick... you just may have to work on it just like a majority of the stick players.. the stick isnt something u can just pick up and become an expert at it immediately... keep the stick... trust me it will all come to ya... work on it

darren/ gnat

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:42 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Don't feel bad.
I've had a few people come over and try a stick out, only to learn that it was not for them. At first the stick will feel foreign to a guitarist. The technique transfer is usually a lot less than is expected, and that will sometimes put people off.

Last night I played the guitar and bass parts to a Who tune on the stick at 90db at a prog fest and it brought the house down. It can rock out VERY well!!!

But, it is a new instrument. A guitarist or bassist would need to learn all new techniques when beginning piano lessons. The stick is no different, although I think there is more transfer of technique to the stick than to the piano.

There an't nothin wrong with being a guitarist, and if thats your decision thats fine you have to find what's right for you.

My last point is that people do make very quick strides on the stick when they are dedicated,
the learning curve is not as steep as it may seem when you first hold one.
So if you decide to give it a whirl, then there is a lot of us to help you out there, but you gotta be happy man.

I'm currently agonizing about whether to sell my upright, it just sits in the corner year after year while my bass chops, bass muscles and calluses fade. decisions, decisions.

Oh and thanks for the post, I have talked about this initial player shock on the board before,
it's nice to have someone actually write about it. Good luck and we will be their for ya either way.

Brett

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Goodbye Stick People
It sometimes takes more guts to say "no" than "yes". Good luck on guitar. Be happy. Respect.

O.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

You have all my respect for your decision not play the Stick, but if your logic applied to all instruments, there would be no wind instrument players around... I've yet to met somebody who could blow a tune out of a saxophone on the first approach!
"Mmmmmphhheeewwwfff" seems to be the invariable first sound :D

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ejanuska wrote:
I knew the first time I picked up a pool cue and made my first shot that I wanted to play billiards again. The first time I strummed a guitar I knew I wanted to play forever. I never felt that when I played a Stick today. Here are some of the reasons that led me this conclusion.
I discovered that not only would I have to relearn the mapping of the notes and relearn scales, I would also have to relearn how to touch a fretboard. I have a tendency to press hard on strings due to many years of acoustic guitar playing and that does not bode well on a Stick.
I am a sloppy guitar player. I found the Stick required a level of precision that I would not be able to attain.
No one says it's for everyone.

There are a few things to consider, based on your post. First off, as far as the tuning goes, you can tune it any way you want. So don't let that put you off.

Also, you didn't say what gauge of strings was on the instrument. If it had light gauge strings, they do feel fairly slinky compared to the tension most people are used to from guitar and bass. Heavy gauge strings are much harder to press out of tune than light ones (much harder).

I like giancarlo's approach to "rocking out":

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUPf-m7oLV4[/youtube]

RSS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUPf-m7oLV4

All of his vids are worth checking out.

I don't know what gauge of strings he uses, but I like his use of conventional unison bass and melody lines, even with the different tuning on each side of the instrument.

It may come back to you sometime in the future, and maybe, just maybe, what you're really thinking of is the NS/Stick...

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I remember feeling pretty awkward on the Stick when mine 1st arrived. I have a guitar background too and can relate to some of the problems you described. I can tell you this though, after a few hours of fiddling around it start to feel much more natural, to me. Also, you might want to try out a NS Stick for a familiar tuning. Another thought, attend a Stick workshop where you can get a chance to spend some extended time with one.

Whatever you do,
Best Wishes

http://www.alliedmusicinstructors.com/Jeff.html

Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

:geek: I don't know... what's right for some and not for others. It's like an island on the river Styx (no pun intended :roll: .) But I have a rule about "this or that" quandaries and that is the answer is never one or the other and always both :? It seems real in the outside world but really it is an occolatian or pendulum swing in our minds.

Thats why I have a lot of instruments :) I love them all and play most of them as often as i can
but for some other "I don't know" reasons The Stick is the one I play the most.

When I first got my Stick it was odd :|

The bass was upside down the frets were huge and tuning was impossible (with a guitar tuner) so I came to this forum often and still played guitar a lot and soon I broke through
the barrier...

So here is the magical thing about the Stick; inside this instrument is a mirror
that reflects back to us all the instruments that are condensed in it's evolution :?

It's a drum, a guitar, a keyboard, bass or dulcimer and a synthesizer. It controls
and adapts, it can play lead or be the side man and both at the same time. It can score etudes right into a computer or just sit in the corner and hold the space. And it can bounce you off of it like a side rail of a bumper car :P

:ugeek: I say it's ok to pick up what you don't know but don't put down what you
you could love just because she makes you feel a little uncomfortable ;)

*j*
. ~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Last edited by JRJ on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:29 pm
Contributor
Contributor

i just honestly believe you just need to spend some time with it.. dont give up too soon....you gave it a short amount of time... another stick player here told me give the stick 6 months and he promises alot of things will click and guess what it clicked....like i posted earlier most of us here are born with immediate musical knowledge....we have to work at it..

so i guess i am saying is ...NEVER GIVE UP NEVER SURRENDER

:)

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:20 pm