It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:16 am

1st Gig, Success! 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post 1st Gig, Success!
I finally got out with the STICK tonight and played at an open mic night. It was a blast, quite a while since I've played live and that was always guitar. Its been a great boost to me wanting to play more , practice more & get out more.
Only 15 minutes, buts its a start.
Cheers B.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post Re: 1st Gig, Success!
ONYA Bruce...!

We should have a blow, just pm me if you have the time.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:05 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Congrats man!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

piratebruce,

I always like your posts, but I LOVE this one! congrats, and it's nice to see Stickists get out and play live, especially at an open mike.

first,you have a "halo" effect just visually- people saying "what is that thing?" and as Miles Davis said, ( out of context- he was referring to jazz) "if you have to ask, you just ain't cool" :D
plus, then they hear you play and say, "how are you doing all that"! ahh- the magic part! and I am sure they need a break from hearing "Wonderwall", "Horse with No Name" and "Sugermountain" ;)

the feedback is wonderful for helping you grow in confidence and expand your set list material.
my "growth spurts" as they were were over 3 years at the Coffee Den here in Pittsburgh at the open mike. we had a "no crash and burn" policy whereby no matter what you played or how you played it, you got thunderous applause and support. so I would push myself to learn 2 songs every 2 weeks and try them out. the ones that worked, I 3 hole punched them and put them in a binder. when I got an emergency call to play 4 hours (ulp!) I had enough stuff to do it. and now, I host my own open stage. important to give back.

finally, you are carrying on an important mission to spread the great word and music of Emmett's wonderful instrument. so major kudos to you and keep up the great work!

dave brosky

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Awesome, Bruce! What was the setlist? :)

EG

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:54 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post 1st Gig, Success!
Hi Justin, nothing too special, more of a bunch of musical exercises i' ve turned into short pieces. I've finally fully got the bug after a bit of a break from it. Cheers. B

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery