It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Greg's new Instructional DVD Now Available 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Greg's new Instructional DVD Now Available
I had a Looong day, :|
"tooooooo tired to practice"
but I have the time
still.............. "I'm just toooo beat"

BUT WAIT.... :o ..Gregs DVD came today!!!!!!! I can get some valuable learning time in while I sit back with a critical eye towards Greg's latest labor!!!!

First off the packaging is great. very slick, professional packed with all the valuable info.

well thought out.

I played through the first 15 lessons (i've studied with Greg before) My first impressions are fantastic, this is what I was hoping for, a real time aural/visual reinforcement of Greg's approach to hand movement.

I'm really looking forward to moving through this.

There is only one thing I'm missing (and it is my one criticism, although perhaps an outdated one) I wish you had included a complete live performance section at the end.

I know I know..this is the youtube age. And There are plenty of online performances, that's probably why you didn't include one or two tunes. Still the snippet of "guitarresque" at the start of
chapter 15 or 16 really left me wanting more.

So Great job once again. I pulled out your "stick book" and your "songbook" has been on my music stand. It's astounding how much you have put into your pedagogy and artistry over the years. It's not only appreciated, but I feel it's very important. someday we will all be gone and Emmett's method will remain. These "works" by yourself, Bob C. Steve A and Emmett will be invaluable resources.

So thank you and 3 questions

1 I can't find sheet music for "Guitarresque" have you ever published it?
2. If not, why not?
3. where is that video version of Guitarresque from?
Brett

Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks Dave and Brett, for such an enthusiastic response. I look forward to hearing how it works for newbies, too.

I think the post office is really rockin' this year! SE has their initial supply in stock as well.

In answer to your questions.

I didn't write Guitarresque, it's by a German composer named Erich Ferstl. So it's a rights issue (also why Sol isn't on iTunes), I just have;t gone through the process of buying a license. The little clipswhich don't contain the melody, are from last April's performance I gave with the U. Va. Percussion Ensemble. I did this as a solo piece. It's on the Old Cabell Hall stage (an amazingly reverberant room). I hope to put the whole tune up on YouTube soon.

Happy Tapping,
Greg

Brett Bottomley wrote:
I had a Looong day, :|
"tooooooo tired to practice"
but I have the time
still.............. "I'm just toooo beat"

BUT WAIT.... :o ..Gregs DVD came today!!!!!!! I can get some valuable learning time in while I sit back with a critical eye towards Greg's latest labor!!!!

First off the packaging is great. very slick, professional packed with all the valuable info.

well thought out.

I played through the first 15 lessons (i've studied with Greg before) My first impressions are fantastic, this is what I was hoping for, a real time aural/visual reinforcement of Greg's approach to hand movement.

I'm really looking forward to moving through this.

There is only one thing I'm missing (and it is my one criticism, although perhaps an outdated one) I wish you had included a complete live performance section at the end.

I know I know..this is the youtube age. And There are plenty of online performances, that's probably why you didn't include one or two tunes. Still the snippet of "guitarresque" at the start of
chapter 15 or 16 really left me wanting more.

So Great job once again. I pulled out your "stick book" and your "songbook" has been on my music stand. It's astounding how much you have put into your pedagogy and artistry over the years. It's not only appreciated, but I feel it's very important. someday we will all be gone and Emmett's method will remain. These "works" by yourself, Bob C. Steve A and Emmett will be invaluable resources.

So thank you and 3 questions

1 I can't find sheet music for "Guitarresque" have you ever published it?
2. If not, why not?
3. where is that video version of Guitarresque from?
Brett

Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

hi greg,

merry christmas! my first new stick and your dvd within a week of each other! ho ho ho!

already off to a fast start. received the dvd yesterday.. and like stringtapper, watched it through once before grabbing the stick. having come from a strictly keyboard background, i was always taught to be squarely situated above the note before striking it. just watching you demonstrate and thoroughly explain the up-fret down-fret motion saved me from applying what would have been a flawed technique to the stick. my tone improved dramatically the second i executed your direction.

this is a "must have" for stick players... ESPECIALLY newbies.

thank you for making it.

jimi

Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

w8ing4thewindshield wrote:
hi greg,

merry christmas! my first new stick and your dvd within a week of each other! ho ho ho!

already off to a fast start. received the dvd yesterday.. and like stringtapper, watched it through once before grabbing the stick. having come from a strictly keyboard background, i was always taught to be squarely situated above the note before striking it. just watching you demonstrate and thoroughly explain the up-fret down-fret motion saved me from applying what would have been a flawed technique to the stick. my tone improved dramatically the second i executed your direction.

this is a "must have" for stick players... ESPECIALLY newbies.

thank you for making it.

jimi
Hi Jimi,

That's great to hear. The difference with keyboards is that with keyboards you have the ability to "push" down to the board with your arms to reinforce the fingers if you want to. With the hand movement shown in the DVD you get a similar kind of supportive energy from the arms. The movement I'm teaching is not instinctive to fretting, that's why I am such an advocate, because the instinctive motion is a "typing" motion, which has much less force and control.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Only 6 days to get to Israel by post during Christmastime. I'd say the post office is jammin'....

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

greg wrote:
Thanks Dave and Brett, for such an enthusiastic response. I look forward to hearing how it works for newbies, too.

Since you asked so nicely Greg I will try to give you the full benefit of my newbiness. Like w8ing4thewindshield says it is a great learning tool, especially for beginners. I really like the use of different teaching aids - charts, diagrams, good camera angles and great sound all contribute to a better understanding of the concepts being presented. I also beleive that it has the correct amount of concert footage. As enjoyable as it is to watch a master perform, that is not always the best way to learn a new skill and this DVD seems to strike a good balance between teaching and entertaining. I think I would have liked a few more examples of of "fun to play" exercises that also sound cool, but as Greg says in the video it is better to practice what comes difficult than what comes easy.

So it is still much to soon to know if Greg's hand movement technique will really improve my Stick playing, but I'm sure going to give it a try. I've already noticed some minor improvement in contolling descending melody lines, now I just gotta watch that hand independence part again :P

Thanks for producing a great video Greg!

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:22 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

flynlion wrote:

Since you asked so nicely Greg I will try to give you the full benefit of my newbiness. Like w8ing4thewindshield says it is a great learning tool, especially for beginners. I really like the use of different teaching aids - charts, diagrams, good camera angles and great sound all contribute to a better understanding of the concepts being presented. I also beleive that it has the correct amount of concert footage. As enjoyable as it is to watch a master perform, that is not always the best way to learn a new skill and this DVD seems to strike a good balance between teaching and entertaining. I think I would have liked a few more examples of of "fun to play" exercises that also sound cool, but as Greg says in the video it is better to practice what comes difficult than what comes easy.

So it is still much to soon to know if Greg's hand movement technique will really improve my Stick playing, but I'm sure going to give it a try. I've already noticed some minor improvement in contolling descending melody lines, now I just gotta watch that hand independence part again :P

Thanks for producing a great video Greg!
Hi Flyn,

Thanks for such a nice write-up!

If you spend some quality time with the exercises that are in DVD, the movements that you learn can be applied to any musical situation. I used the video format to convey as much physical information as possible - things that are very difficult to show in print. Don't forget your time base!

I'm planning a supplemental resource that will give you a series of exercises to work through, that would not make sense to dedicate video time to, since there are many permutations on each idea.

If you have either of my books, the movement principles apply to all of the exercises and arrangements.

Image Image

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

[quote="greg"]I'm planning a supplemental resource that will give you a series of exercises to work through, that would not make sense to dedicate video time to, since there are many permutations on each idea.
[quote]

Cool! I look forward to checking that out.

One of the biggest challenges that beginners face is finding tunes that we actually want to play, but are simple enough that we don't get overwhelmed and discouraged. For me the most inspiring moments come when I hear someone play something that sounds great and I think hey, I can ALMOST play that! That's what makes me want to practice. First and foremost, it has to sound cool :lol:

Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:52 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Greg I'm really digging how you have categorized the different types of shifts. These things come pretty naturally when you're using the 3-finger method but it's nice to see them defined in clear terms like this.

This DVD has to be the most comprehensive exploration of technique that exists for the Stick. You're really getting to the nitty gritty of how to make a good sound on the instrument. Bravo!

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:08 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

stringtapper wrote:
Greg I'm really digging how you have categorized the different types of shifts. These things come pretty naturally when you're using the 3-finger method but it's nice to see them defined in clear terms like this.

This DVD has to be the most comprehensive exploration of technique that exists for the Stick. You're really getting to the nitty gritty of how to make a good sound on the instrument. Bravo!
Hi Dave,

That's exactly the reaction I was hoping the material would inspire. You can get chords from books, but you can only get movement from a physical presentation, and video is the way to go.

Glad it's working for you. and Tappy New Year!

Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next