It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Greg's new Instructional DVD Now Available 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Greg's new Instructional DVD Now Available
abby wrote:
I didn't even realized the techniques have "names".

abby
Hi Abby,

For the purpose of defining all the position-shifting I like to use in tapping, it made sense to develop a new vocabulary.

traverse
leap
crabwalk
hop
slide
creep

all have very specific meanings in the context of navigating the fretboard, and all involve hand-movement along the string, in support of the fingers.

Steve has some great names for some of his moves, too. I don't know if mine will "stick" but developing a position-shifting vocabulary, as a player and a teacher has been really helpful. The Greg Howard Songbook is largely based on this idea as well, with the StaffTab notation serving as a kind of choreography for your hands.

You're a really natural musician, and I look forward to your impressions of the DVD. Thanks for the interest.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi everyone, A new batch of discs is on the way to amazon, and SE is well supplied.

So far DVDs are on the way to Argentina, Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland, and the UK, and many states in the US. I really appreciate all of the interest, and look forward to hearing how the material helps you in your playing.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Just got a copy today. Feedback to follow.

http://www.alliedmusicinstructors.com/Jeff.html

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Greg,

25% through. So far the information is clear and concise. Unlike some other instructional DVDs (not Stick) I have experienced that seem to go too fast at the important parts, or just seem to drag along, the pace seems just right. On a specific note, the explanation of the up-string/down-string technique has brought me a new clarity on this idea.

Thanks for making the efforts to bring this product to the Stick community.

Kudos

http://www.alliedmusicinstructors.com/Jeff.html

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have been studying and working with the DVD for several days now, and I have to say, of ALL of the instructional stuff out there, this is really Tops! I found it paced really nicely, it is clear and concise. Greg gives great examples and instructions on how to execute technique... This CD is DEEP, and yet very accessible for beginners and seasoned players as well..... I enjoy sitting here in my studio and having it be part of my practice materials...

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

jeffcomas wrote:
Greg,

25% through. So far the information is clear and concise. Unlike some other instructional DVDs (not Stick) I have experienced that seem to go too fast at the important parts, or just seem to drag along, the pace seems just right. On a specific note, the explanation of the up-string/down-string technique has brought me a new clarity on this idea.

Thanks for making the efforts to bring this product to the Stick community.

Kudos
Thanks, Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback, Jeff. I appreciate any input from professional music teachers about what I'm doing. The Up-fret/down-fret concept is unique in tapping instruction as far as I know, and I think it really conveys the sensation I"m after.

rclere wrote:
I have been studying and working with the DVD for several days now, and I have to say, of ALL of the instructional stuff out there, this is really Tops! I found it paced really nicely, it is clear and concise. Greg gives great examples and instructions on how to execute technique... This CD is DEEP, and yet very accessible for beginners and seasoned players as well..... I enjoy sitting here in my studio and having it be part of my practice materials...

Randy, I'm glad that, even with your unusual tuning, you're finding things that work for you in the DVD. I don't know if you remember the class at Emily Carr in Vancouver, where you asked some very pointed technique questions of me. That indeed helped set me on this path of emphasizing hand movement as the broader technique foundation. So, it only took me eight years to come up with a complete answer!

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Greg,
Yeah, I have been utilizing hand movement all along. that always sort of made sense to me... Also, since I am using 5th's on the melody side, I am find that the crab, hop, leap, and the shifting techniques come in very handy. The 5th's tuning on both sides has allowed me to think of the STICK as "One Big Instrument" instead of melody and bass sides... The CD is a Treasure of technique and learning... it is something that I will use and refer to for years. :)

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I ordered the disc yesterday and signed up for a lesson for early next week. pretty excited about both .
:D

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:15 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Awesome. Just ordered it. One thing with the lessons that was tough was trying to take in all that information in one sitting and then remember all the movements to be able to practice them correctly till the next lesson.

It'll be really helpful to be able to refer to a video reference to make sure I'm doing stuff right.

#6054 Bamboo SG12, ACTV-2, mirrored 4ths piano
#5518 Rosewood 10 String Grand, PASV4, MR

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:18 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Is there a way to burn to disk the skype lesson as it is going on,so that you could refer back to it at a later time ??? Besides the computer and copywrite issues,if it could be done,you'd have your private lesson on dvd. Now everyone chime in,lets unroll the long red tape,of why it can't be done.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:30 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next