It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Greg's new Instructional DVD Now Available 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Greg's new Instructional DVD Now Available
not yet stick wrote:
Is there a way to burn to disk the skype lesson as it is going on,so that you could refer back to it at a later time ??? Besides the computer and copywrite issues,if it could be done,you'd have your private lesson on dvd. Now everyone chime in,lets unroll the long red tape,of why it can't be done.

You would need permission from the teacher to do that. In other classes I have taken video recording was prohibited.

As a music instructor I have encouraged students to audio record classes, and I have encouraged parents ( I teach many children) to take pictures of their children once I have them in a good posture, for later reference. Video recording has not come up. I suppose I would not mind so long as the recording was solely for personal use, but I would be very unhappy to find a private lesson or a class posted on the internet.

http://www.alliedmusicinstructors.com/Jeff.html

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Powagoat wrote:
Awesome. Just ordered it. One thing with the lessons that was tough was trying to take in all that information in one sitting and then remember all the movements to be able to practice them correctly till the next lesson.

It'll be really helpful to be able to refer to a video reference to make sure I'm doing stuff right.

I agree that being able to hit the rewind or play it again later is a great advantage. However DVD cannot observe you and provide feedback. I believe it is important to seek out a live instructor, at least on occasion. So, get that skype lesson and/or attend a workshop.

http://www.alliedmusicinstructors.com/Jeff.html

Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:01 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

not yet stick wrote:
Is there a way to burn to disk the skype lesson as it is going on,so that you could refer back to it at a later time ??? Besides the computer and copywrite issues,if it could be done,you'd have your private lesson on dvd. Now everyone chime in,lets unroll the long red tape,of why it can't be done.
I've never used one, but there are apps that allow you to record video-conference calls. As a rule, students have permission to record the entire audio portion of the lesson and their video portion, but not my video (I don't really want to see myself teaching private lessons on YouTube).

Can anyone recommend some specific apps for students for Mac and PC that do this?

Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I got my copy yesterday right before I had my first lesson with Greg. It will be great to use this as a resource between lessons.

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:22 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

JHammondC wrote:
I got my copy yesterday right before I had my first lesson with Greg. It will be great to use this as a resource between lessons.
Hi Hammond, It's nice to be able to refer to the DVD in the lessons. Great for reinforcement of the concepts all around. See you again soon.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I had a couple of inquiries from SB8 players about the DVD, and it will absolutely work for you, especially for the right hand, but also with the left with some adjustments.

All of the right hand melody parts can be played on the SB8 standard 4ths tuning. You will play everything one fret lower than shown on the DVD, on the same strings as if you were a Baritone Melody player (strings 1-4, for the most part, string 5 will only occasionally be used).

The left hand is a more complicated matter, as the inverted 5ths offer differrent absolute relationships than the 4ths you have on the SB8, but the same geometric note patterns.

The best strategy is to follow the movements exactly the same as they are presented, from string to string. This means that most of the time you will treat the A string (string 6) as if it was the lowest bass string on the DVD charts, and play everything 3 frets higher than shown. So you'll be moving to different octaves.

Left hand chords should generally be turned into root-5-octave shapes, which have a similar geometric shape as the root-5-octave shape in inverted 5ths:

4ths:
Code:
| - | - | o |
| - | - | 5 |
| r | - | - |

inverted 5ths
Code:
| - | - | r |
| - | - | 5 |
| o | - | - |

Since the right hand would only use the SB8's 5th string on rare occasions in the DVD, it is available for the left hand.

So here's the note pattern in the range where the left hand root notes occur on the DVD, in 4ths:

I started the pattern at fret 1 instead of the X fret, so as to be inclusive of 34"-scale SB8 players.

You can shift things by octaves easily, or play then at the same pitch, as on the independence exercise example shown at 3:27 in the YouTube video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tNFmXFQ4kU[/youtube]

If you have any questions, about this, please post them here so that other players can benefit from the discussion.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Greg, on your new DVD...

First and foremost, the format is excellent! The combination of multiple angles, power point headers, and fret graphics deep with Emmett's Free Hands notation and easy to see string markers is a winner. I have never seen a more thorough or well thought out display of knowledge. This total approach allows for all of these concepts to coalesce in real time all at once.

I really like the "power point" side panel - at first blush, I said, where do I look? but then the efficacy became self evident - you can pause, rewind and read and get more detailed information on the left passage. This DVD to the learned eye and ear is really power packed with gems and a wealth and plethora of knowledge. I was taking my time and rewinding so I would not miss anything, or to make sure I understood the point before moving on. That’s the beauty of this DVD. In the seminars, the students would just ask Greg live, or Greg would see the expressions on their faces, and humbly and intuitively go back over what he just taught. This DVD allows for the same review.

Broader concepts are discussed in a very effective manner, again further supporting the premise- "it is not about going finger to finger, but from part to part" - higher level functioning and deeper thought into not just playing the notes but taking it to a higher level of musicianship which everyone should strive.

Practical tips abound - ie. "release the note", "don't anchor the thumb", and the consistency with each new playing challenge.

I found exceptional for myself the clearest discussion of movement along the string line, and the "traverse" movement suggestions. Much jazz has 4th intervals that this really clears up to make it smooth and easy to play.

The DVD in detail in addition covers Hand Independence, Bassline Movement, Melody Movement, Independence Training and Rhythmic Independence. Who could ask for more! Plus, here the instructor and author is also accessable through responsive e-mail and skype.

This DVD is a winner on all aspects and no respectable Stickist should be without it!

Dave Brosky
Producer, Stick Player, and Educator

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I echo ALL that Dave has said... a real Magnum Opus!!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:13 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks, Dave and Randy,

It's great to get such enthusiastic feedback, especially from experienced players. Dave, as a fellow teacher of the instrument, I really appreciate your points, and I hope the material will be useful in your own teaching as well. We're all contributors to this new way of making music.

I'm still waiting for the shipment to show up in amazon's inventory. I'll let you know as soon as it appears.

If anyone has any questions about the DVD content, or if anything is unclear at all,please feel free to email me off-list, or post here.

http://www.stick.com/features/video/

Jimminy Sweep

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Well, I have had Greg's new DVD for a few weeks now. I enjoy it very much. It came at a great time too, since the upstate New York seminar was postponed. Now I have Bob's on vhs, Steve's on dvd and finally Greg's. Each has been very helpful in different ways. Obviously, technology has helped make Greg's the most impressive looking. I hope you all get a chance to see this extremely valuable teaching tool.

Now that I have it memorized, mine will be for sale at a reduced rate!!!(Just kidding, Greg) :P

Mike

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next