It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 am

DBRO NY BESTSELLING AUTHOR EVENT OCT16+(GET MORE GIGS 101!) 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post DBRO NY BESTSELLING AUTHOR EVENT OCT16+(GET MORE GIGS 101!)
I could also title this "how to get additional gigs from an existing gig 101", there just did!
I already got 2 real spinoff gigs from my steady Wed night gig at Cafe IO. A private party this Friday ( sorry it's private but I understand Stefon will be there! :D ) and to be an integral part of a Best Selling NY Times Author, Lisa Scottoline, lecture and private reception.

How..... well here's how

MAKE UP BUSINESS CARDS- Be your professional best. Let everyone to know you take your music and playing seriously. Don't give them a scrap of paper torn from a placemat with a hastily illegible writing with your name and number. If it's like my writing anymore, they won't be able to read it or call you!

Everyone has a Word business card template, so you just need to go and buy some clean edge business cards blanks -Avery Template 8371. There are also web services like Vistaprint and even your local FedEx office that can do a great job at really low prices.

At the very least:
PUT YOUR PICTURE OF YOU WITH YOUR STICK ON IT. NO goofie selfies- you want them to pay you right? The Stick is the true calling card in this and that's what they will remember.

Name, phone number and e-mail at a minimum. If you have a website, reverberation page or sound cloud account that isn't 14,000 letters long and convoluted, put that on there. Last time around I put a smart square on the back for smart phone scans to direct traffic to the Stick 2 It! (my duo with Miike Clancy) 's website.

Don't be shy about putting your puss on there, they saw you play right? It's not like you're going to wear a PIG MASK! ( see Oliver's post) :o

I am thrilled and honored to have people enjoy what I am doing and to think of me to enhance their event and make it even more special. Know your place- this author reception is NO TIME to break out the Marshall Stack and SVT 8x10 cab and do Jimi's greatest hits!

Part of being a consummate performer is to be able to relate to and read your audience.

Hope this helps, and I believe in all of you and you can do this!
Dave Brosky "DBro"
Lessons via SKYPE and Google +

Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: DBRO NY BESTSELLING AUTHOR EVENT OCT16+(GET MORE GIGS 10
Nice one, Dave. You're an inspiration.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:38 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Good going Dave! Thanks for sharing your "tips and tricks", especially about printing your own business cards. I didn't even know that was an option to do on an inkjet printer.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:37 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Good stuff Dave and great advice. A cool business card is a must and like you say getting them printed even professionally now is really cheap, more of an investment than a cost.
I liked your remarks about knowing the audience and since I'm eyeing off the regular gallery launches across the road from my house, its not the place for my marshall at "11" , thats for sure!
Cheers, B.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

First thanks Randy, Russell and Bruce for all the kind words!

The event was very successful on many levels! I got there early to make sure I set up with the caterer. You don't want to be dragging amps and cords over the people that hired you, plus they like a certain comfort level that they have "once less problem without you!" :D

I was able to sneak over and catch part of Lisa Scottoline's lecture prior to the private inaugural party where I was to play. She was funny, entertaining and enlightening . There was a Q&A session afterwards which gave me time to get from the lecture hall to the library. They moved me 3x to get closer and people really wanted to hear and see me. Remember you have this magic halo effect with the visuals with the Stick, so use them. People started singing along with me - hey, this was supposed to be about the author! Music has that effect.

I was treated like royalty and they arranged a private meeting with Lisa and I was given free three of her best selling novels which she autographed for me. I told her how I missed meeting her by 1 day in Rehoboth Beach with my family in 2007 when "Devil's Corner" came out. She laughed and said I remember that day it poured buckets!

This is where it gets really cool..She wanted to really listen to me, but had to hob nob with the hoo polloi. So she is getting pigeonholed by this person and that person who helped create
this series, and she gets close enough and says "cool" and gives me a really big smile, so I gauge her age, and play "Sunshine of your Love" -she puts her hands in the air and starts dancing! dancing! Later, She was across the room and after I finished "Don't think Twice it's alright" she yells Dylan, I love Dylan! All in all, If she wasn't kidding, I might have an invite next year to play her private book circle in Philadelphia. Not bad for helping out one of the patrons at Cafe IO where I play every Wednesday.

Plus I handed out ..... MY BUSINESS CARDS!
thanks for all the kind comments above, and again I believe in all of you and you can do this!
Dave Brosky "DBro":
Lessons via SKYPE and GOOGLE +

Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Congrats Dave!

Along with business cards, I think we should also have yearly editions of Stick Player trading cards! Model, tuning, wins, losses, saves, years in the big leagues...all the important stats.

We just need a rep to call up Topps and get this rolling. I nominate DBro!!

Mike

Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

mike kemp wrote:
Along with business cards, I think we should also have yearly editions of Stick Player trading cards!

We already have a fiat currency to exchange: gear threads.

Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:08 pm