It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 7:40 am

Bob's "Beatles on The Stick" - new featured CD 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Bob's "Beatles on The Stick" - new featured CD
gpoorman wrote:
I generally walk into any situation with the mindset that "I can" until it's proven to me otherwise. Even then, the worst I usually walk out with is "ok ... maybe I can't do this yet but I'll revisit later when I have more skills" :-)

Luc wrote:
I agree with Glenn's attitude. But on the other hand, sometimes realizing one's limitations will lead you down your own path to uniqueness.

I cannot help but point out that the above quotes are not mutually exclusive. To wit: going down your own path can be the way you develop the skills with which to revisit the subject later. Even things which are truly impossible, and thus not worth revisiting, can provide critically important perspective which leads you to a better result.

Progress within this paradigm should be measured as the distance from the "starting line" rather than the distance to the "finish line," if it is measured at all. The value is in the work itself, and that value is only realized through commitment to improve. The power of loving life is—as in all unrequited love—not in being loved, but in loving.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:18 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Yes, "The value is in the work itself." I have to relegate myself to being one of the practicers, but I don't subscribe to "practice makes perfect". My finish line is an infinity away, that is, the infinitude of music. If I'm 90 percent there, I'm still at zero - a humbling but sustaining state of mind.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:13 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Maurice Ravel had this to say:

Sincerity is of no value unless one's conscience helps to make it apparent. This conscience compels us to turn ourselves into good craftsmen. My objective, therefore, is technical perfection. I can strive unceasingly to this end, since I am certain of never being able to attain it. The important thing is to get nearer to it all the time.

I've always like this quote but he loses me a little in the last sentence. Certainly I think it's important to get nearer to it all of the time but he almost makes it sound like that's the sole objective of the musical endeavor. I'm guessing I'm misunderstanding him here though.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Infinity is a mathematical and also a philosophical term. You can never get close to it, but relatively (and relativistically) you can direct yourself toward that impossible span. Infinity is indivisible. Ninety percent attainment won't get you any closer.

That's why music is not a competitive sport.

Bob's striving for excellence in human performance is all that we can accomplish as musical artists and the audience either resonates in some form of group intelligence or it doesn't.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:27 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I just hope to suck less tomorrow than I did today. :)

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫
Tarara 10-String #6300 DBR
Black Railboard #6594 BM
♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫

Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:00 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Bob's
h3dg3h0g wrote:
I just hope to suck less tomorrow than I did today. :)

THERE'S the essence of it all! Spoken in a beautiful economy of words wrapped in self-deprecating humor...well done, sir.
This thread really did take an unexpected (but very pleasant) turn, didn't it? Buy Bob's cd. It's masterfully done, very listenable (but not just for Stick aficionados) ... and as a bonus, you'll end up inspired.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Quote:
music is not a competitive sport.

So much for my next "battle of the bands" contest...

Not sure I agree with Emmett here, although I totally get what he's saying... and obviously, you have to dig Emmett's musical vibe overall.

As someone previously hinted, one can SUCK quite a lot one day, and excel the next. I confess turning the dial on the radio can seem like sport occasionally, looking for a tune that does not SUCK as bad as the last. In fact, there are some bands which are simply not to be taken seriously at all.

Men Without Hats. A Flock of Seagulls. Coaster-ready upon taking the media out of the sleeve.

On the contrary, I feel a FRIENDLY competitive vibe in the musical realms is PART of what drives people to excel. This is particularly evident in the classical genre, the 70's progressive genre, and even within one band's evolution. That is to say, some bands compete with previous material, trying to outdo what they had done before.

Music is totally competitive. I think I just disagree with the premise that competition is inherently malevolent and negative. You might say the same thing about any form of evolution.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:01 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Interesting angle. I see your point; I think that we've become so conditioned to the existence of music game shows on TV (European/American/Australian/Asian Idol, America's Got Talent, The Voice, ad nauseum) that many of us have begun to look at the notion of competition within music as ONLY a bad thing because of its misuse.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

For some, creating music is enough.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:30 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

For me, creating music is enough only if it's unique and interesting, which is where my previous post comes into play.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:00 pm