It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am

KC in Boston (09-15-2014) 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post KC in Boston (09-15-2014)
The show last night was way to loud. Painfully loud. Noxious. Mel Collins Tenor sax was like a banshee screaming in my ears. The guy two seats away from me felt the same way, because every time Mel Collins lifted the Tenor sax, both of us lifted our fingers to our ears.

I couldn't make out the individual musicians because my cochlea were saturated, no longer able to process the individual sounds from the wall that was bearing down upon me. The only time I could make out the individual musicians was when I put my fingers in my ears. It was then when I could make out a RF solo, or deconvolute Mel Collins' screaming sax, which, by the way, sounded a lot like what Adrian Belew might have played on a solo from the Double Trio material.

I love King Crimson, any and all of the "incarnations". I would have really appreciated the show, had I been able to hear it clearly.

Disappointed...

Since when did music become all about the words

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:08 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: KC in Boston (09-15-2014)
I hate rock shows that are like that, and unfortunately it's rare to go to one with great sound quality. You either have to wear earplugs or risk hearing damage - I never understood the appeal of being subjected to that kind of punishment, particularly for more artistic bands that incorporate some degree of subtlety in their music (which inevitably gets drowned out in the mix).

The Thrak show in 1995 at the Orpheum Theater in Boston was outstanding - one of the best concerts I ever saw (got lucky with third row sets by buying at a Ticketmaster outlet in a relatively remote location in New Hampshire!)

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I had a pretty similar reaction to the Philly shot on 9/13.
it was great, but just didn't have the right mix at all. Mel C was waaaay too loud and Levin was waaaaay too quite, and it's not even subjective, really.
Every time Mel played he blocked out at least two other instruments. Meanwhile, levin was so quiet you could barely hear him (or even "feel" him), and bill rieflin's drums didn't sound like they were even mic'd from where I was sitting. He could BARELY be heard at all when he was the sole drummer, like on parts of "Sailor's Tale."
Everything came together sound-wise during the Schizoid man encore, but it was too little too late. I just don't get it, they could have had better sound!!!
It is unfortunate, but the show as still really entertaining and amazing. i never thought I'd see any of those songs live, and executed WELL.
Also, Levin doing Lark's Tongue Pt1 on Stick? Awesome.

10 String Classic Wenge Stick #6493
Ibanez Workshop Portamento Fretless 5 String

http://www.cartoonweapons.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/cartoonweapons

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:10 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Wait, so what happened with krim? Besides it being too loud which is so lame for the krimson sound clarity they need. Old sax player? weird

Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:07 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sax player drowning out 3 drummers. And, not playing anything from the albums that inspired me to play Stick...

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Agreed - when I heard them play in Austin last year I was lucky enough to hear them in the new Moody/ACL Theater downtown, which really seems to be 100% engineered to make live shows sound great.

Bummer for you man...nothing is more disappointing than getting all geared up to see a show, you get there, and you pretty much wish you had stayed home because it sounds so crappy.

I've walked out of at least 3 of my favorite bands because the sound was so bad it wasn't even worth listening too...and I'm not talking about marginal sound issues - I mean like "I can't even hear the lead singer" or "the guitar is so far down in the mix I don't know if he's actually playing that song or if my brain is just filling it in because I know that part by heart" type stuff..

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

The following is just a guess...

Since Adrian's not in the band anymore, playing any of his material would've been tantamount to blasphemy, as it has so much of Adrian's personality woven in to the music and singing. I think they did the respectful thing, and didn't touch any of that material. It also might have something to do with the fact that Adrian has been playing that material live with the Crimson Projekct and his own trio for the last few years.

You have options!

As for the Crimson performances on this tour? Amazing playing, great setlist (if you like more than just the 80's trilogy), with a not so good mix to sour things a bit. I saw two nights in a row, from two different seats, and each night sounded totally different.

earthgene wrote:
Sax player drowning out 3 drummers. And, not playing anything from the albums that inspired me to play Stick...

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:16 am