It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:23 pm

Announcing The 2015 NorthEast Stick Seminar!!! 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Announcing The 2015 NorthEast Stick Seminar!!!
http://brettbottomley.com/the_northeast_stick_seminar

I am pleased to announce “The 2015 NorthEast Stick® _Seminar”.

This will be held in Hamden, Connecticut at “1253” Saturday and Sunday, April 11and 12.

Instructors will be Bob Culbertson, Greg Howard and Brett Bottomley

All skill levels are welcome. If you don't have a Stick, a limited number of instruments will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Instruction will cover a broad range of subjects, including basic technique, instrument setup, fretboard navigation, chord chemistry, etc.

With well over 100,000 albums sold and several hundred students to his credit, Bob Culbertson is one of the most influential touch soloists today. His musical style ranges from light jazz with folk and blues flavor to classical with Spanish, contemporary, and traditional influences.

Bob began playing the Stick 38 years ago when introduced to the instrument by its inventor, Emmett Chapman. The Stick is a ten to twelve- string instrument that bears both guitar and bass elements. The player taps the strings with their fingertips to make sound vibrations, similar to playing a piano. Each hand moves independently of the other to produce a rich blend of melodies, bass, and chords. The sound of the stick is transcending and the visual of the musician playing the instrument truly captivating.

Culbertson’s recordings have been described as “the sound of the Stick in its purest form”. His CD releases are live, solo recordings with the use of no effects except a small ambient use of reverb.

He played an integral role in the development of the first acoustic stick, designed purely for the tapping method of playing. Bob has since released Acoustick Dawn, the first ever recording with such an instrument. Other recordings include Celtic Waters a study in traditional Celtic Styles and a recent release of all Beatles music.

Bob plays a variety of festivals, gigs, and concerts annually. He has toured nearly every state in the US as well as over fifteen countries worldwide including France, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and Japan.

His concerts include openings and performances with the popular acts; Robin Trower, Robben Ford, Eric Martin, Tuck and Patti, Steve Morse, Doobie Brothers, Allan Holdsworth, Sheila E, Leon Russell, Dave Mason, Babatunde Olatunji, Neal Schon, Alex De Grassi, Fattburger, Micky Hart, Zakir Hussain, Fog Hat, David Grisman, Abraxas, Robin Hitchcock, and members of Santana.

East Coast musician and composer Greg Howard plays jazz, rock, and improvisational music on the amazing Chapman Stick. Building on familiar Western repertoire like The Beatles, Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix, Charles Mingus and The Police, Howard adds layers of Middle Eastern and Asian harmonies, polyrhythmic grooves and expansive electric textures. Equally at home on stage as a soloist, in a "power duo" with drums, his five-piece UpTet, and free improv trio Azul, Howard has performed around North America, Europe and Japan, including appearances at the Montreal Jazz Festival, the Berklee College of Music in Boston, and the Lincoln Center Summer Festival in New York.

Greg's eleven releases have ranged from studio productions of Latin and Flamenco-inspired jazz ensemble tunes, lyrical solo compositions, improvised groove poetry, and lush progressive rock, to a one-hour live solo improvisation. He also performed as a guest artist on tour and in the studio on the triple platinum Dave Matthews Band CD "Before These Crowded Streets" and in duo with guitarist Tim Reynolds as Sticks and Stones. Greg has also opened tours for diverse artists like Porcupine Tree, John McLaughlin and Michael Manring.

As one of the most active teachers on The Stick, Greg has taught over sixty seminars on Stick technique since his first in 1996, and has produced two books, a CD and DVD of lessons on his approach to Emmett Chapman's Free Hands two-handed tapping method. in 1995 Greg co-developed the StaffTab fretboard notation system with Emmett Chapman. He teaches lessons via Skype to students all over the world, and is on the adjunct faculty of the McIntire Depatment of Music at the University of Virginia.

youtube: http://www.youtube.com/gregplaysthestick

Brett Bottomley has just released and exciting CD with his Group “Toy Masheen” and is currently at work on his second solo Stick CD. Brett is one of the most active stick players on the east coast and regularly plays gigs from Los Angeles to the UK.

There will be a meet and greet on Friday night at The Old Dublin in Wallingford.

Classes will be held from 9-5 on Saturday and 9-5 on Sunday at “Brett's House in North Haven. North Haven is located just north of New Haven, convenient to the New York and Boston metro areas.

There will be a Stick Night concert on Saturday night from 7 -11 at "The Old Dublin" in Wallingford featuring Bob.Greg, and Brett

The closest lodging is at the Clarion in Hamden

http://www.clarionhotel.com/hotel-hamde ... icut-CT067

The Cost is $200 US per student and includes admission to Saturday night's concert. Space is limited, sign-ups on a first-come, first-served basis.

For Questions and further informatio, you may contact Brett by Email at

jazzstick@sbcglobal.net

Or Call

(203)248-6638

(203)800-6653

You May use the paypal link below

or mail a check made payable in US$ to Brett Bottomley to:

Brett Bottomley
61 Lancelot DR.
North Haven, CT 06473 USA

Stick is a Federally registered trademark of Stick Enteprises, Inc., and is used with permission.

Last edited by Brett Bottomley on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: Announcing The 2015 NorthEast Stick Seminar!!!
Excellent! I'll be signing up very soon... This will be my first Stick seminar!

Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:34 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

It'll be well worth it, JGro. Prepare to come away inspired and energized.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Agreed Luc. Jgro these seminars are wonderful life affirming events. Can't wait to meet you and learn with you. Stay tuned for further updates.

Brett

Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Just signed up, I'm excited to meet you and other fairly local Stickists!

Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:54 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Glad to have you, it's gonna be a great one!!!!

Brett

Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi -

Wondering if there are any more details available? I'm pretty new to Stick events. How many participants, other than instructors, usually attend this event? On the 2 training days, what is the general schedule? Loose? Structured? Any general details you can provide? How is time allotted for each instructor? Full group? One on one time with each attendee? The days are 9 to 5... Do we travel together for lunch, is it provided at the venue, or do we bring a sack lunch?

These details might be old hat to those of you who have attended these events for years, but I've not found specifics anywhere yet.

I know it would be a great experience. I'd just like more details to help make the decision to drive over from Ohio.

Thanks,

Randy

Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:18 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Depending on what happens with my health, including the results of upcoming tests, I might try to make it. Figuring out the transportation will be tricky, and it may be impossible if various reservations would be non-refundable.

All in all, this seems more likely to work for me than Interlochen. It would also be a nice early birthday present to give myself.

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:56 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi randy

The numbers will vary usually between 10-20 participants.

Each seminar is different as are the instructors. At this one the scheduling will be developed after sign ups are complete and questionnaires are filled out.

I can tell you that it will be very structured and that every participant will get a high dose of exposure and information from each instructor. If time allows a private lesson with the instructor of choice will also be provided. There will be also plenty of opportunity to play for the group and individual learning styles as well as achievement levels are monitored and addressed.

More info scheduling to come as it becomes available

Brett

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for setting this up, Brett.

Bob and I have each taught more tapping Seminars than anyone else around. We taught our first together in 1996. Because of that experience, we're able to customize the material to fit the skill levels of the students, and we work together to make sure the classes are complementary and not redundant. We cover everything from fundamentals to the latest exciting discoveries we've each made (and Bob always has some new techniques up his sleeve).

The best thing about these events, from my perspective, is not what we bring to the table but what your fellow students bring. It's always inspiring and illuminating to see how people incorporate different ideas into their approaches. That and the opportunity to hang out with people who share our interest, something I never had when starting out,,,

Looking forward to it!

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery