It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

Classifieds feed back a buyers perspective and suggestion 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Classifieds feed back a buyers perspective and suggestion
I just wanted to throw out a bit of constructive thoughts about being a buyer and using the classifieds.

1 there has to be a way to remove so,d items. Please admins. Do sellers and buyers a favor and remove or maybe move the sold items to a sold section. Try to keep the available for sale section as clean as possible. If I could see only what is actually still for sale, it would be a lot easier to shop and also give sellers a lot better visibility.

2. Please sellers. Put where the stick is located or shipping from. As a person that wants to buy locally first, that is a huge point. It also important to factor in how much shipping is.

3 sellers support this board first. Don't list your item on eBay and then tell us about it. List it HERE first and give Stickist people some time before listing on eBay. Give them a defined time frame BEFORE listing on eBay.

3. SE sells at retail price. They provide warranty and a degree of protection. Their prices for used instruments should also be considered retail prices. As a buyer, if the prices are the same and I can buy exactly what I want from SE, I will not pay a seller MORE for a used instrument unless there something really special about it. And no, because YOU bought it and waited a month for it to be built and deliver is not good enough.

4.Sellers. You bought it, tried it and could not figure it out. Welcome to the club. I think this is actually more the rule than the exception. (There should be a whole section for this). My point is regardless, your instrument is not NEW. Because you did not use it (much) it is still not new, it is used. try to price it realistically.

5. Accessories. Every stick (as far as I can recall) ships with a strap, case, cord, tools and book. These are part of the stick, not accessories. You bought a stool and a music stand for $150? Lovely. And your adding $145 to the price as the chair and stand are like new?

Please, do yourself and your potential buyers a favor. Un-bundle things. Sell your instrument, your chair, and your chachkies separately. Especially when considering shipping some buyers might may want your stick or pedal. But they may not want to buy and pay for the shipping on your faux muppet fur wing back chair bundled in..

Please take this in the constructive spirit that it was intended.

Last edited by Seancasler on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:39 am
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Classifieds feed back a buyers perspective and suggestio
Seancasler wrote:
3 sellers support this board first. Don't list your item on eBay and then tell us about it. List it HERE first and give stickist people some time before listing on eBay. Give them a defined time frame BEFORE listing on eBay.

Can't argue a bit with this one -- its always frustrating to see that for sale ads become nothing more than a way for eBay to make money.

Seancasler wrote:
3. SE sells at retail price. They provide warranty and a degree of protection, their prices for used instruments should also be considered retail prices. As a buyer, if the prices are the same and I can buy exactly what I want from SE, I will not pay a seller MORE for a used instrument unless there something really special about it. And no, because YOU bought it and waited a month for it to be built and deliver is not good enough.

So there IS a reason why someone would pay the same (or more than) retail -- Lead Time. If you're REALLY wanting a Stick *now*, there is a value to being able to get your paws on it *now* Of course, lead time (as I speak) is only a month or two for the basic Stick. I, personally, agree with your sentiment and have gone as far as saying something similar to your statement in the past about eBay sellers (in particular) wanting an insane amount of money for an old hunk of wood that is (usually) terribly outdated. There is, however, the "Caveat Emptor" factor and the PT Barnum theorem to be attached to the equation.

Traditionally, price of an object or service is set based on supply, demand and what the market will handle. I may be incorrect on this, but people who go for a Stick probably are able to come up with disposable income more easily than in (for example) the guitar market. In the guitar market, you can buy a low to medium range guitar for a smallish amount and do quite well. If the instrument doesn't work out for you, you're not out a lot of $$. In the Stick market, you're dealing with an exotic instrument that you don't want to be saddled with after paying a steep entry price. What's the most that someone will pay to take it off your hands? That's the price, whether we agree with it in our own personal philosophy or not.

Seancasler wrote:
4 sellers. You bought it, tried it and could not figure it out. Welcome to the club. I think this is actually more the rule than the exception. (There should be a whole section for this). My point is regardless, your instrument is not NEW. Because you did not use it (much) it is still not new, it is used.

Agreed -- a separate section would be good... Or, probably even better, an FAQ: "If at first you don't succeed, try some lessons." Its kind of difficult for a newbie to know where to go. I don't know everyone who actually gives lessons -- I know Greg does, I know Steve A does, I *think* Bob Culbertson does... I cherry-pick the subjects I want to read because I'm so damned busy. I don't think I get to see everyone chiming in who gives lessons. This would be a good sticky or a good separate board topic: "Where to go first after you've unboxed your stick: A guide for the utter Stick novice"

I'm a fairly advanced finger style guitarist. I am self trained/taught. In my first go-around with the Stick, I failed miserably. At that time there were no opportunities for lessons (that I was aware of). Being an arrogant SOB, I figured I could tackle it myself. I ended up selling my first Stick when I entered school for a career change. Now I am back -- and I fully intend on taking lessons, starting as soon as is possible after I have it in my hands. I'm man/musician enough to realize that while I COULD tackle this on my own (given a decade or two), that some lessons for a while would cut that down significantly. You watch, my 16 year old rock-star son will kick my butt with it right out of the box.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:45 am
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Classifieds feed back a buyers perspective and suggestio
Seancasler wrote:
So there IS a reason why someone would pay the same (or more than) retail -- Lead Time. If you're REALLY wanting a Stick *now*, there is a value to being able to get your paws on it *now* Of course, lead time (as I speak) is only a month or two for the basic Stick. I, personally, agree with your sentiment and have gone as far as saying something similar to your statement in the past about eBay sellers (in particular) wanting an insane amount of money for an old hunk of wood that is (usually) terribly outdated. There is, however, the "Caveat Emptor" factor and the PT Barnum theorem to be attached to the equation.

Traditionally, price of an object or service is set based on supply, demand and what the market will handle. I may be incorrect on this, but people who go for a Stick probably are able to come up with disposable income more easily than in (for example) the guitar market. In the guitar market, you can buy a low to medium range guitar for a smallish amount and do quite well. If the instrument doesn't work out for you, you're not out a lot of $$. In the Stick market, you're dealing with an exotic instrument that you don't want to be saddled with after paying a steep entry price. What's the most that someone will pay to take it off your hands? That's the price, whether we agree with it in our own personal philosophy or not.

People are free to ask anything they want for anything they have. And a buyer is free to buy at whatever price they are willing to pay. Value/ price is the agreement of the buyer and seller, and it is completely up to them to come up with a number. I don't dispute that.

That said. There are certain realities. Stick Enterprises sets the retail prices and sells at retail. As far as I can tell their used prices are about 15-20% off of the current new retail. Buying a used Stick from SE, they will offer a certain amount of value (returns, as advertised condition, shipping damage, fixing something if it is not correct, handling issues and disputes, etc). An individual, generally, can not offer these types of supports.

I am just offering a bit of insight as a person currently in the market for Stick. A person that has spent a lot of time buying and selling instruments over the years personally and as a living. A person that bought their first Stick @ 1986 and has gone through the process several times.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:43 am