It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 am

New web host - site now migrated! 
Site Admin

Post New web host - site now migrated!
Welcome to the new home of Stickist.com. Same home, different neighborhood. 8-)

The previous web host Ipower.com was terrible in its MySQL management on the server I was on. After months of dead ends with its tech support and elevating it to higher tiers of techs, I just got fed up. This site took forever to load at times, and other times, not even at all with a General Error message of too many connections to MySQL. Totally unacceptable as this site continues to grow and scale up re: users and content.

After folks here (thank you!) referring various web hosts and their feedback/expeirences, researching the various web host user review sites like Webhostingreviews.com, and the various web host company sites themselves, I chose Hostgator.com. Hostgator got excellent reviews and had the advanced features I needed. After starting an account, I've been testing them out with a mirror of this site and have been pleased with the load times and performance. Their data center is located in Houston, Texas. BTW, Ipower had really poor reviews on Webhostingreviews.com, mostly about the degradation in service over the years, which was my same experience.

So hopefully the new web host will work out well for us here.

Thank you all for your patience in putting up with the poor performance of this site for the last months! Enjoy the faster load times and overall significant increase in the site's performance. :D

~Manny

BTW: post in this thread, any errors, glitches or problems with this site as I work out the various glitches I haven't caught just yet with this site's migration.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: New web host - site now migrated!
Glad your happy with new host.

Guess I'm to late to chime in but I had a great expierence with LunarPages.com for years with basic package. Then I moved a few sites over to GoDaddy.com with basic package and the telephone support is crazy good, all American 24 hour a day answering all questions without an accent or half a$$ answer.

Now I got a VPS (Virtual Dedicated Server) thru GoDaddy. It's almost $500 a year, godaddy had best price. I get 1/25 of the CPU instead of 1/150 to 1/300, dedicated ram and full access to mess with server settings. Only draw back is it's more responsiblity and geek work to maintain, if I screw up its on me. But I can install server side modules and have power I was unable to get out of basic webhost plan.

My main problem before was two many sites on the one server with basic hosting and ram or CPU is unpredictably eatin up by your neighbors when other sites spikes for what ever reason.

The next step up is the Bomb!

MarcDobson.com
MarcRocs facebook

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:53 pm
Site Admin

Yeh, I took a serious look at a VPS account...that'll probably be the next step if this site and my others need more dedicated resources. I even pondered about co-location services for my servers (Sun Cobalt webservers) but I would then be circling back to my original config with running webservers out of my house with a dedicated high-speed line. Yeh, it was a lot of geek work to maintain and I found myself have less and less time for them.

We'll see how this shared hosting account holds up.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

MANNY, Thanks for ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!!!! THIS IS A WONDERFUL SITE. I CAN'T IMAGINE ALL THE WORK THAT IS INVOLVED TO KEEP IT UP AND RUNNING, BUT IT HAS TO BE A LOT. THANKS AGAIN.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:29 am
Site Admin

Thanks NYS!

Hey, anyone else having problems with the polls section? When I enter/change my vote, I get a "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." when I hit submit.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I like the geese :)

Has anyone else noticed that they tend to migrate north or east for the winter these days?

Yeah the Stick material poll gives me the same error message.

Dan

#6054 Bamboo SG12, ACTV-2, mirrored 4ths piano
#5518 Rosewood 10 String Grand, PASV4, MR

Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:53 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Manny, you are truly the man. Thanks for your dedication in keeping this site going and helping the Stick community informed of all things. We all have benefited greatly by your efforts
Much thanks

Steve A

Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Great many thanks! :) Well done.

Sincerely//Jan

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:42 am
Site Admin

• Working on the Polls issue.
  • I've isolated the problem to the customized theme I'm using. Now to find the problematic code in the right file.

Problem resolved. Had to add the code below in the customized theme for this site.
Code:
/template/viewtopic_body.html
{S_HIDDEN_FIELDS}
{S_FORM_TOKEN}

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Manny - the site is SO much snappier now - good job!

Good luck with the new hosting company too...I know from past experience that it can be a real nightmare dealing with a poor provider. so far you are off to a great start!

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:33 pm