It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:11 pm

New web host - site now migrated! 
Site Admin

Post Re: New web host - site now migrated!
DaveS wrote:
Manny - the site is SO much snappier now - good job!

Good luck with the new hosting company too...I know from past experience that it can be a real nightmare dealing with a poor provider. so far you are off to a great start!

Thanks!
SNAPPIER - this is the holy grail for me, something I tried so hard in wrestling out of the previous web host -> Ipower.com = FAIL!

Now to monitor for any degradation in performance with this new host as time goes on.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Bravo Manny, et MERCI!!

Olivier

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Really nice! Congrats.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:21 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Manny wrote:
Welcome to the new home of Stickist.com. Same home, different neighborhood. 8-)

The previous web host Ipower.com was terrible in its MySQL management on the server I was on. After months of dead ends with its tech support and elevating it to higher tiers of techs, I just got fed up. This site took forever to load at times, and other times, not even at all with a General Error message of too many connections to MySQL. Totally unacceptable as this site continues to grow and scale up re: users and content.

After folks here (thank you!) referring various web hosts and their feedback/expeirences, researching the various web host user review sites like Webhostingreviews.com, and the various web host company sites themselves, I chose Hostgator.com. Hostgator got excellent reviews and had the advanced features I needed. After starting an account, I've been testing them out with a mirror of this site and have been pleased with the load times and performance. Their data center is located in Houston, Texas. BTW, Ipower had really poor reviews on Webhostingreviews.com, mostly about the degradation in service over the years, which was my same experience.

So hopefully the new web host will work out well for us here.

Thank you all for your patience in putting up with the poor performance of this site for the last months! Enjoy the faster load times and overall significant increase in the site's performance. :D

~Manny

BTW: post in this thread, any errors, glitches or problems with this site as I work out the various glitches I haven't caught just yet with this site's migration.

Thanks for all your efforts as always Manny! U Da Man!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks Manny.

Time ....our most precious commodity.

10 string (stickup)

Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:59 pm
Site Admin

Well, the site's been up on the new host for over 24 hours now.
I've been hitting this site a lot from computers and my Blackberry while on the road, just to check on load times. So far so good, it appears to load up much more "snappier" than before.

Anyone notice any lag of over a few seconds or problems with not being able to access the site with a General Error message about too many connections to the MySQL database?

For the folks outside of the U.S., how are load times for you? The datacenter is located in Houston, Texas.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Manny wrote:
Well, the site's been up on the new host for over 24 hours now.
I've been hitting this site a lot from computers and my Blackberry while on the road, just to check on load times. So far so good, it appears to load up much more "snappier" than before.

Anyone notice any lag of over a few seconds or problems with not being able to access the site with a General Error message about too many connections to the MySQL database?

For the folks outside of the U.S., how are load times for you? The datacenter is located in Houston, Texas.

No problems at all from outside USA (Sweden). SOO much better than before. The site loads almost instantly. It´s been almost impossible to log in during the swedish afternoon/evening these last months. Only in the morning, when America is getting its beauty sleep. Well done, Manny! :)

//J

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:04 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Many thanks for your efforts, Manny, it works much better now!

Best wishes,
Johannes

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:08 am
Contributor
Contributor

Might I add that migrating the site to a new host was a good career move.

I was getting tired of the slow load times.

SB8 Stick Bass #5509, Standard 4th Tuning, Rosewood w/Linear Inlaid Frets

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Admin

Yeh, it was really frustrating with the slow load times, especially when I was trying to do system maintenance. I couldn't even do patches/revision-upgrades to the PHPBB forum app as MySQL would time out in the middle of the process. Not an issue with the new host. Upgrading the version of this forum app was fast and complete, like it was suppose to be in the first place.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery