It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:41 pm

New web host - site now migrated! 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: New web host - site now migrated!
Manny wrote:
Yeh, it was really frustrating with the slow load times, especially when I was trying to do system maintenance. I couldn't even do patches/revision-upgrades to the PHPBB forum app as MySQL would time out in the middle of the process. Not an issue with the new host. Upgrading the version of this forum app was fast and complete, like it was suppose to be in the first place.

Hi Manny,
You might get a kick out of knowing that the site even works (though it looks a little funny) on a very old iMac using an ancient version of IE, and a dialup connection. The snow has toppled so many trees that I'm having to use the only dial-up connection in the house to check email.
Thanks again for all you do to keep this site going and growing.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Admin

Thanks Greg! The efforts has definitely been well worth it; I can rest easier now knowing the site is functioning properly/snappily.

Wow, I would so hate to experience this site on the previous sloooow host on a dialup connection.

Re: your backup dialup connection to the 'net, look into tethering your computer to your cellphone if its got data connection features. This way you can also have cell broadband data as another backup resource.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Manny wrote:
Re: your backup dialup connection to the 'net, look into tethering your computer to your cellphone if its got data connection features. This way you can also have cell broadband data as another backup resource.

+1. And MUCH faster than a dial-up modem.... :) I often surf the net on my computer (MacBook) using my cell phone while out traveling. Works splendid.

Sincerely//Jan

Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:59 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

StickJan wrote:
Manny wrote:

+1. And MUCH faster than a dial-up modem.... :) I often surf the net on my computer (MacBook) using my cell phone while out traveling. Works splendid.

Sincerely//Jan
Thanks Manny and Jan for the feedback.

Broadband is back up as of this afternoon (just in time for skype lessons). If I were traveling more I would definitely do this (I priced it out with my mobile company today). As it is, I'm mostly working at home, so adding another layer of "service" to my mobile contract doesn't make any sense. Of course that may change if tonight's ice/snow storm knocks it out again...

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Admin

Though this site is on the new web host, I still have an active account with the old crappy host, Ipower, which I'll let run out in May. Here's an alert I had recently received from the Ipower account:

Code:
Resolved: MySQL Connection Issue
We appreciate your patience regarding the MySQL issues, at this time your MySQL driven website should be running as normal. If you have any further problems, please contact support or submit a ticket using your support console
----------
We are currently aware of a MySQL related issue with a small subset of our customers.  This issue will cause errors when trying to establish a connection to the MySQL server.  We are working to resolve this issue, and appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.

- 02/21/10 at 22:21 ET

I had spent way too many hours with escalating tiers of tech support, all which had replied that they couldn't find any problems with MySQL when Stickist.com was crawling...yeh, right. I'm so done with Ipower.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Many thanks Manny! I enjoy posting to your newly revised format. This square for posting text is larger now and doesn't shake anymore when my cursor crosses the font colors.

It all seems to operate better and faster now. I was always worried about losing my message text, and sometimes had to recreate it - a painful process. I learned the hard way to first type my messages into my mail program.

However it operates, it was always worth it in expression and feedback, plus you get to see your post instantly come to the top when you "view active topics", a real incentive.

Best, Emmett.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:16 pm
Site Admin

Thanks Emmett, glad all is working out so much better.

And I just got another system notification from the old host...looks like they still are having some major MySQL problems even though they told me that they couldn't find any problems.

Code:
MySQL Database work
Our Network operations team will be performing some necessary work on our MySQL servers.  This will require servers to be off line for a period of 10 minutes, between the hours of 11pm and 12am EST.

Thank you for your understanding while we perform these necessary changes.

- 02/22/10 at 22:28 ET

Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Admin

And another system notification re: MySQL problems with the old host. Wow, what a joke...

Code:
RESOLVED:Manage MySQL tool errors
We have corrected the issues with the Manage MySQL tool, and you should now be able to use this tool without error. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.

We are currently experiencing an issue that is causing errors when accessing the 'Manage MySQL' tool within user's control panels. We are investigating the cause for this, and will have an update as soon as more information is available. We apologize for any inconvenience this is causing, and we appreciate your patience while we work to resolve the issue.

- 02/25/10 at 18:12 ET

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Admin

And another alert...
Code:
Resolved: MySQL Connection Issue
An issue affecting the load on the MySQL server has been resolved.  Your MySQL driven website should be working as normal, if you have any further problems please contact us by phone or create a ticket using your support console.
-----
We are currently aware of a MySQL related issue with a small subset of our customers.  This issue will cause errors when trying to establish a connection to the MySQL server.  We are working to resolve this issue, and appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.

- 02/28/10 at 21:41 ET

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery