It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

RSS feed, configure for new topics only? 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post RSS feed, configure for new topics only?
Is it possible as a user option (or could the site change) so that RSS notifications are only triggered by new topics and not for each reply?
Normally I've found that is how it works. You watch the RSS info for new topics. If you want to follow the topic, you come to the sight and subscribe to the topic. They way it works now, there is a flood of RSS notification due to every post triggering one.

Russell

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:55 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: RSS feed, configure for new topics only?
The RSS feed was additional coding for this forum, and basically scrapes new activities, which includes new posts to existing threads; unlike what you see with various blog structured sites.

I'll do a little homework and see what I can find re: a different approach with having available different types of feeds.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Admin

OK, I've altered the feed. Can't just have the new posts, but at least it includes the forum name and you can tell if it's a new topic or a post replying to a topic via the "Re:" indicator in the subject title after the forum name.

The new URL for the RSS feed is:
Code:
http://www.stickist.com/feed.php

I've also updated the RSS icon/feed link in the header part of the site, adjacent to "Photo Gallery."

Hope this works out better for folks.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Manny wrote:
Can't just have the new posts

Manny, the Tape Op forums are also powered by phpBB, and they have this feature (which I'd also like to see) as a user-configurable option. I'm pretty sure it's just a plugin or something. I'm not sure which one, but I can ask the webmaster if you want.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:57 am
Site Admin

Yes, please....get the name of that RSS Feed mod or plugin and I'll check it out. Thanks!

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery