It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:24 pm

When others use our forum for marketing 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post When others use our forum for marketing
Hi, all.

There's another thread with a Stick competitor "announcing" a new product. This is a member of the forum and he posted in the "Teflon" section, which is for non-Stick related topics. While I don't like the product and the poster, I don't object to him posting this to our forum. However, by replying to the thread you are raising the search rankings for the product he is selling and therefore helping him with his marketing. While I don't object to forum members following the forum rules and marketing products, I don't want to help them out if I don't like the particular product or poster.

I would like to humbly suggest that maybe the best way to express your dislike of the product, and/or the poster himself, would be to ignore the post and not add a comment.

Respectfully submitted.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: When others use our forum for marketing
+1

Lee

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:13 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Maybe you're right... :?:

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Yep, just ignoring is probably the best.
I liked the youtube link he posted though...nice comparison of the different instruments...good for the stick :-)

Cheers,
Bas.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:58 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I totally see your points and agree with them, Eric.
On the other hand, however, I think that there is some justification in debating the merits or otherwise of these things in so far as there is a lot to consider for new players who don't have much cash when choosing an instrument - should nobody voice opinions one way or the other in forums such as this then that might be perceived by them as no objection or even tacit approval.
Something which is hard to play by nature could disillusion a player and make them think that tapping in general is not for them.
I think it unlikely that these things will not be seen and discussed elsewhere if not here, owing to the nature of the marketing techniques that they appear to commonly use and that despite the risks of raising the profile of something or someone we may not like, there is value in these debates in assisting people to make informed choices.
Nobody would want to see someone with only a thousand bucks available buy something that, for whatever reason which might otherwise have been pointed out to them in discussions here, ultimately turn out to be of little use to them or disappointing.
(As for my own comment on that thread, I... I... just don't know what came over me... an aberration... ;) )

Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:13 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Sorry, I don't agree with you Eric. Traktor did comply with stickist "policy" as far as I see, and posted in the "Teflon" section. I think this is an open place where we can discuss and share opinions / information. Stickist is a forum, not a marketing tool (although being online it has some of that at least indirectly); if we start thinking about search statistics and rankings we will focus on the same 'marketing' aspect that you are don't like in TT post...
Finally Manny has the last word on this (it's his site right?) but I don't think he will want to ban anyone or censor his posts.
Don't give to this more importance that what it really has: there is a new product, you like it? you don't like it? say it and explain why, be polite and avoid getting personal, then move on and forget about it if that's what's better for you.

my 2 cents, Daniel.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:22 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Derek and Daniel,

Very good points! I can see all sides of this and I'm not sure what I think, now. I also wonder what we'd think if all makers of taping instruments started posting announcements here on stickist? I wasn't around when all the crap happened that split the Stick community. I sometimes see videos on YT from people I know played the Stick and now play something else and I wonder what the story is. I'm not sure I even want to know the stories. Maybe we should just move on and make music. That's why I'm here and why I play the Stick.

-Eric

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

EricTheGray wrote:
I also wonder what we'd think if all makers of taping instruments started posting announcements here on stickist?

If done in a polite and respectful way, stickist can only improve and become the most comprehensive resource on tapping :)
I guess the ultimate goal is to provide musicians with more resources / choice not less.

EricTheGray wrote:
I wasn't around when all the crap happened that split the Stick community. I sometimes see videos on YT from people I know played the Stick and now play something else and I wonder what the story is. I'm not sure I even want to know the stories.

As any fight, I'm sure it was ugly and people got hurt but we shouldn't be part of that; leave it to the people involved and lets hope that they can forgive. Resent is like a terrible acid that consumes even the flask that contains it, the best thing that you can do is let it dissolve with time.

EricTheGray wrote:
Maybe we should just move on and make music. That's why I'm here and why I play the Stick.

That's the spirit :) When are you posting a video with your beautiful custom SG12?

Cheers, Daniel.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:15 am
EricTheGray wrote:
Derek and Daniel,

Very good points! I can see all sides of this and I'm not sure what I think, now. I also wonder what we'd think if all makers of taping instruments started posting announcements here on stickist? I wasn't around when all the crap happened that split the Stick community. I sometimes see videos on YT from people I know played the Stick and now play something else and I wonder what the story is. I'm not sure I even want to know the stories. Maybe we should just move on and make music. That's why I'm here and why I play the Stick.

-Eric

I was. Ugly times. Horrible business ethics performed by certain people. I have lots and lots of respect for the folks at SE. I have alot less respect for others. Enough said about that. I will definately stick with the good folks at SE.

Sincerely//J

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:59 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

arsacane wrote:
That's the spirit :) When are you posting a video with your beautiful custom SG12?

Cheers, Daniel.

You calling me out, Daniel? :D It just so happens that I'm working on a video as we chat. My first try resulted in discovering some transcription errors and some phrasing that I don't like. I'm almost back to recording level with the corrections. My semester starts on Monday, when I turn into a hellabusy teacher. I want to be done with this video by then. I'm also waiting for permission from the composer to put the video up on YouTube. He hasn't responded yet and that may hold things up.

I'm loving my SG12 and I think it may be the ultimate Stick for some of us old guitar players. I'm also using mirrored 4ths and that seems to work better for me, too. I'll let you know.

-Eric

Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery