It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:18 am

Lots of bots on this forum..... 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Lots of bots on this forum.....
lots of bots popping up posting all the time here on Stickist. Can´t anything be done about this? how does other forums solve this problem?

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:12 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Lots of bots on this forum.....
Irbit wrote:
lots of bots popping up posting all the time here on Stickist. Can´t anything be done about this? how does other forums solve this problem?

The main problem is that they are not bots, they're people. This is now a common way to defeat captcha. People in poorer countries are hired to register on forums and post spam. With a forum like this with one admin with very low revenue (that's all from donations), it's hard to keep them cleared out. Manny is a busy person, just like the rest of us. He clears them out and blocks their IP as fast as he can. I'm impressed that he keeps ahead of them as well as he does.

Hmm, maybe it's tome for another donation to help with the cause and to show support.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

EricTheGray wrote:
Irbit wrote:

The main problem is that they are not bots, they're people. This is now a common way to defeat captcha. People in poorer countries are hired to register on forums and post spam. With a forum like this with one admin with very low revenue (that's all from donations), it's hard to keep them cleared out. Manny is a busy person, just like the rest of us. He clears them out and blocks their IP as fast as he can. I'm impressed that he keeps ahead of them as well as he does.

Hmm, maybe it's tome for another donation to help with the cause and to show support.

-Eric

moderators to help with spam accounts? im not very active but i see lots of spam posts. Perhaps better with help?

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:14 am
Site Admin

Hi,

I'm the only moderator/admin person; helps keeps things agnostic around here. If you come across spam, below the post, bottom right corner is a small red "!" you can click on to report the spam. Quite a few users here have been really great in reporting spam for me to nuke. I typically check this site at least 2x/day, and respond to those spam reports by IP blocking and deleting the user account and associated posts, along with checking all new user accounts, posts or not, on their IP address. I've got a pretty good sense of spam account origins, and prune user accounts daily.

Overall efforts/results have been really good compared to other forums re: real user accounts vs spammers. As previously mentioned, live persons from other countries are notorious for manually creating spam accounts and bypassing the CAPTCHA hurdle, e.g., China, India, Pakistan, Russia, Ukraines, Philipines. I try to be sensitive to possible Stickists from other countries vs. spammers in regards to IP blocking, e.g., no IP blocking of Poland. :o

Pruning spammers from this site, just part of my daily routine, a small cost for such a great virtual community here.

:D Manny

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

dont block Poland! Please! :)

Ok. I understand. just seen lots of spm posts. But they dont stay up long. That is true. weell done!

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:48 am