It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post 007
About a week ago I got into a fairly lengthy online conversation with a very old friend of mine when he posted an article about Sam Smith singing the opening song to the upcoming James Bond film "Spectre".

Now ... my father was a huge fan of the books and the films. Some of my oldest memories of my dad are sitting with him watching 007 films. I love the films and absolutely love the fact that the opening songs are so key and so anticipated. I keep my collection of MP3s in order and on hand all the time and add to the collection whenever a new film comes out.

So ... I'm wondering who else is as in to these tunes as I am and what people's opinions of the very best and very worst songs are. I'll give you my own run down.

To me, Shirley Bassey is the Sean Connery of 007 singers so I automatically put "Goldfinger", "Diamonds Are Forever", and "Moonraker" up at the very top. After that I am particular fond of:

"You Only Live Twice" - Nancy Sinatra
"Nobody Does It Bettter" - Carly Simon for "The Spy Who Loved Me"
"The World Is Not Enough" - Garbage
"Skyfall" - Adele

I felt like Adele singing "Skyfall" was a throwback to the Shirley Bassey tunes. Best 007 tune in years ... IMO.

Misses? Really only a couple for me.

"The Man With the Golden Gun" - Lulu
"Die Another Day" - Madonna

The Madonna tune is the only one I just can't get through. I'll cross an ocean to skip to the next tune.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: 007
I used to play elec guitar in a 9 pc horn band called King Cotton which played all manner of obscurities - doowop, reggae, BeBop jazz and old school R&B. We used to play the original Bond theme in Em with the surf & spy guitar lines and the horn blasts. It was one of my favorite tunes to play cause we sounded so much like the original including the arpeggiated tag chord Em9maj7.
We also did the Batman theme from the 60s TV show letter perfect in the same spirit. We played that at the Hollywood wrap party for the late 90s Batman & Robin movie with George Clooney and Uma Thurman and they all loved it cause it was so wrong.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Live and Let Die is pretty good

And the film was scored by George Martin!

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
Live and Let Die is pretty good

And the film was scored by George Martin!

Yeah that one is up there for me too although I'd put it into my "2nd tier" along with Gladys Knight singing "License To Kill" and Cheryl Crow's "Tomorrow Never Dies". Actually the latter tune I really like but I would have preferred somebody else sing it.

Thomas Newman is apparently the new go to guy for scoring 007 movies. Works for me. I think he's a really brilliant film composer.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

The Adele one is really nice, and to me epitomises the style.

My favourite is the tune "We Have All The Time In The World" sung by Louis Armstrong from "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". I reckon the rest of the soundtrack is a bit of a turkey and the song itself has a strange bridge but there's something about the quality of his voice. It may have been his last vocal performance actually....

People will laugh cos it's a bit of a golden oldies number but I don't care, I'm a huge Scott Walker fan too!

Ciao

Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I go back and forth on View to a Kill. Sometimes I really like it and then a few months later, I can't tolerate it. I guess it is a mood thing, but it sure does capture the feel of that era of Bond.

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:14 am