It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

Website on Coltrane's 3 tonic system of jazz comp. & improv 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Website on Coltrane's 3 tonic system of jazz comp. & improv
This website talks about the four tonic system prevalent in jazz and the three tonic system pioneered by Coltrane. Notice how this guy embeds trichords on the augmented scale. That's similar to what I've been talking about with Shorter's stuff where he embeds structures onto steps of the "correct" scale. This helps explain Coltrane's composition Giant Steps and how he approaches soloing over it.

http://www.javierarau.com/augmented-scale-theory/

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:33 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Website on Coltrane's 3 tonic system of jazz comp. & imp
This isn't music - it's Algebra!

No but seriously, this is something I need to sit down with and think through. After working through Naima, I really felt some sort of connection with what he was writing, but it was WAY beyond my level of musicianship to delineate.

Looking forward to digging into this, thanks Tatsu.

Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Website on Coltrane's 3 tonic system of jazz comp. & imp
He's basically saying save yourself a lot of time and practice by only having to learn 4 augmented scales for normal jazz in any key you want to play in; I, bIII, bV and VI or C aug scale, Eb aug scale, Gb aug scale, and A aug scale for a region in C Major each having various levels of dissonance. And only 3 for Coltrane stuff; I, III and bVI or C, E, and Ab for a Trane area in C Major. Then you only spend your time managing dissonance and not wondering what to play next or worse, never knowing what to play next. Check out his lessons blog and the titles of his books for further gold to mine. But I think the field is wide open to apply these ideas on any scale as per Wayne Shorter. It's about playing motivically and not about playing the right scale or memorizing a bunch of riffs that you beat into the ground. It's good to have some riffs but can't be your whole lunch. Did you know there are only 19 trichords plus their inversions? There's a site for that too but I've made a document that's easier to visualize for string instrumentalists that I could post. I avoid the ones with known structures which aren't that many compared to the rest. Anyway, here's the link to the 19 basic trichords. http://rudiseitz.com/2013/01/29/countin ... trichords/

Hint, instead of trying to continue beyond this to learn all the "quadrachords" just add different notes on the fly to existing trichords to create four note ideas without studying "quadrachords" at all.

Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:26 pm