It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

Managing criticism 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Managing criticism
Feedback is really, really important. Having the ability to distinguish what kind of feedback is useful to you, even if it's no feedback at all, is even more important.

Sacro, I LIVE for music. Hearing and seeing people do stuff in ways I didn't think of, especially at a beginner level (like me) is really inspiring. Then discussing it, even if there's a jerk in the area, takes the ideas to a whole other level. Plus, don't forget that some jerks (like me) will probably be on your side. lol You would not believe the hate mail I get on my youtube site; makes me think I'm on to something hahaha

Sometimes the music we create is not very good, and that's okay if you treat the internet like your personal sketch pad. If you keep trying, and keep on sharing I believe that the music will evolve much faster.

You have an idea? Teach it. You have a riff? Record it. You have a score? Post it.

I'll listen and watch, I have nothing but admiration and respect for anyone that posts a riff. Plus, I know how much work it is to do even the simplest of musical ideas on this instrument, so I have your back...

lol Let 'er rip.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:06 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Captain Strings wrote:
I've been punched out,had lit cigarettes flicked in my face,ashtrays and bottles thrown at me on the bandstand,tires slashed,wheel lugs loosened,instruments and amps stolen off the stage during intermission,my girlfriend assaulted on the dance floor while I tried to play a steel solo and more. Anyone my age who made a living playing music night after night,year after year in night clubs full of drunk people thru the 60s,70s,80s & 90s will tell you the same things. - you gotta learn to do your own bouncing and don't let it shake you up.

I started out in the heavy metal scene. I've been physically assaulted on stage more than once. Unfortunately, cracking people in the head with your ax seems like an over-reaction when somebody says they didn't like your set :lol:

The Radnecks

http://www.theradnecks.com

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:53 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

paigan0 wrote:
-particularly if Kevmodeus Rex is picking apart your finely-crafted arguments with his Warr scalpel.

What the fuck is a "Warr scalpel?" My side job as a reviled crank has nothing whatsoever to do with the instrument I play. Sounds remarkably close to a criticism to me.

If that were true, you'd be in good company here. Since I happen to be the most criticised presence on this forum, perhaps I can offer my perspective on this issue. Here are a few things you can say when some dipshit says something like, "you are no Layne Staley."

1) "Fuck you" (my favorite, a time-tested classic, makes the top of the list every year. Make sure you say it with conviction, keeping constant eye contact. If you perform this technique correctly, even people twice your size will reassess their career as a critic)

2) immediately pull out your phone and begin making a phone call, again, keeping close eye contact. After greeting the imaginary entity on the other line, ask the critic her age and shoe size in hushed tones. Act really concerned. If the critic loses interest and walks away, follow her, asking more questions, each one more disjointed and pointless than the last. She must learn that criticizing the insane is a fool's errand.

3) Blank stare. Go catatonic. Drooling helps. Freaks them out every time.

3) Be nice. I do not recommend this reckless course of action, unless you actually ARE nice. The critic will likely ferret you out for the asshole you are and ramp up her attacks. At that point, items 1, 2 and 3 listed above will not avail you.

Of course, if you SUCK, you should spend more time practicing. Performances by those who suck will attract critics like flies, and you should be ready with #1. You'll fit right in with everyone else in the clubs who have already learned this technique and employ it to great effect in their own quest to not suck one day.

And you should immediately cease playing covers, because there is probably some asshole in the crowd copying your setlist and sending it to BMI so they can extort the club and ensure you don't get paid.... unless you play a tapping instrument in a solo capacity, in which case nobody will care about you at all, and if they manage to muster enough energy to condescend to speak to you, they will ask if you are, in fact, playing a sitar.

Don't be that guy. Words of wisdom, people.

Kevmodeus Rex, the Scalpel of Hard Truth

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:08 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Anyone who makes criticism, especially of covers, are just vibing out on what their opinion is of that music. So it's actually not a criticism of you, as much as it is their own take on any given song.

Who gives a feck, you play it for what it does to you, not to try and impress everyone with your cover skills, leave it that way.

When it comes to creative original music, I'll take all and any criticism with a grain of salt and sometimes there will be something in it that may have me thinking a little differently about my writing style.

I write music to make me happy first, so most of the time it won't matter two scraps of crow shit to me. I just reflect on the comments for 30 seconds take it or leave, make a decision, then it's gone.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

paigan0 wrote:
Greg, that Mile Davis quote has just become my favorite of many of his!

This part here:

Quote:
These musicians had become victims of the critics, most of whom are lazy and don’t want to work too hard to understand contemporary musical expression and language.
It's too hard to accept that the world has moved on from [insert roots here]. I struggle with it when I listen to the radio, and then remember that a lot of radio always used to suck. But there's seriously good stuff going on even in the pop world (loved that Bruno Mars bass line just like you did--thanks for that!)

Cheers. My friend John D'earth has been writing an opera, which has that quote as an integral part of the first act. The opera is called Sacred Profanity. It's a pretty interesting take on the "jazz life".

The most memorable criticism I ever got was a bratwurst wrapper in my tip basket while busking once in Germany... Or was it the $200 tip at the restaurant in Cleveland... you decide.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Cheers, Greg! The opera sounds very interesting! Best of luck (to D'Earth and the whole operation)!

There is a difference in criticism from your peers and fellow musicians, and from your listeners/supporters--casual or engaged, not caring or totally absorbed in your every move--every extreme, and often, overlap between the two groups. Your fellow musicians come out to hear you and support you at your gigs. But THAT feedback from the non-musicians who just know what they like--even if they've never heard it before, which I'm sure is common with Stick players gigging--that feedback is also valuable too, but has to be taken with lots more salt. Most people can't even tell you what they liked when they like something: "It's got a good beat and is easy to dance to" Dick Clark--I'm looking at you!), but they can usually do their best to tell you what they didn't like! :lol:

Personally, I'm just amusing myself and am my own best and worst critic, as most of us are.

People are crappy critics. Even many literature teachers and music teachers I've met suck at the giving and receiving of constructive criticism. It's absolutely crucial to any creative environment and it's one of my triggers (twitch!) when people say non-constructive things to people desperately seeking feedback. And comments from fellow musicians and fellow Stickists are way better than my Mom telling me I rock (but thanks, Mom!)

K Rex wrote:
What the fuck is a "Warr scalpel?"
Hey, don't pick apart my finely-crafted metaphors, either! You know, huge Warr Phalanx, tiny little scalpel of wit--which I see you had no problem making your own--

Er, the juxtaposition of the two extreme polar opposites resulted in a cognitive dissonance that was pleasing to the...man, that shit was clever! :ugeek:

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

K Rex wrote:
paigan0 wrote:
-particularly if Kevmodeus Rex is picking apart your finely-crafted arguments with his Warr scalpel.

What the fuck is a "Warr scalpel?" My side job as a reviled crank has nothing whatsoever to do with the instrument I play. Sounds remarkably close to a criticism to me.

If that were true, you'd be in good company here. Since I happen to be the most criticised presence on this forum, perhaps I can offer my perspective on this issue. Here are a few things you can say when some dipshit says something like, "you are no Layne Staley."

1) "Fuck you" (my favorite, a time-tested classic, makes the top of the list every year. Make sure you say it with conviction, keeping constant eye contact. If you perform this technique correctly, even people twice your size will reassess their career as a critic)

2) immediately pull out your phone and begin making a phone call, again, keeping close eye contact. After greeting the imaginary entity on the other line, ask the critic her age and shoe size in hushed tones. Act really concerned. If the critic loses interest and walks away, follow her, asking more questions, each one more disjointed and pointless than the last. She must learn that criticizing the insane is a fool's errand.

3) Blank stare. Go catatonic. Drooling helps. Freaks them out every time.

3) Be nice. I do not recommend this reckless course of action, unless you actually ARE nice. The critic will likely ferret you out for the asshole you are and ramp up her attacks. At that point, items 1, 2 and 3 listed above will not avail you.

Of course, if you SUCK, you should spend more time practicing. Performances by those who suck will attract critics like flies, and you should be ready with #1. You'll fit right in with everyone else in the clubs who have already learned this technique and employ it to great effect in their own quest to not suck one day.

And you should immediately cease playing covers, because there is probably some asshole in the crowd copying your setlist and sending it to BMI so they can extort the club and ensure you don't get paid.... unless you play a tapping instrument in a solo capacity, in which case nobody will care about you at all, and if they manage to muster enough energy to condescend to speak to you, they will ask if you are, in fact, playing a sitar.

Don't be that guy. Words of wisdom, people.

Kevmodeus Rex, the Scalpel of Hard Truth

Oh you! You WANT to be the most reviled presence on this board, but you aren't even close. That would be me. Lol nice try, though. 'A' for effort!

Good points, all of them.

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:27 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

paigan0 wrote:
Hey, don't pick apart my finely-crafted metaphors, either! You know, huge Warr Phalanx, tiny little scalpel of wit--which I see you had no problem making your own--

Er, the juxtaposition of the two extreme polar opposites resulted in a cognitive dissonance that was pleasing to the...man, that shit was clever

Which part was clever? The part where you took a shot at a guy's intelligence on a thread about criticism, or the part where you made some clumsy penis-size reference? Still stinging about the Trump thread, big guy?

Steve, did you accidentally navigate your way here from the Democratic Underground comments section?

K Rex

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:24 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

K Rex wrote:
Which part was clever? The part where you took a shot at a guy's intelligence on a thread about criticism, or the part where you made some clumsy penis-size reference?

K Rex
Wow, Kev, I had totally meant that scalpel of wit thing entirely as a compliment and I honestly didn't even see the penis thing until you pointed it out. If I'd used the word overcompensating, then I could see where you're coming from. Tiny scalpal of wit was not intended to be referring to your penis! Although the jokes about thinking with it for a guy are easy enough. Really wasn't going there, not my style as a bleeding-heart liberal Democrat. So apologies for any unintended insults; I'll try to make my insults more explicit. Cheers!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yes, explicit insults are always better. Thanks in advance.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:19 pm