It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 pm

Into Thin Air 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Into Thin Air
With the recent release of the movie on Everest, aptly called Everest...I thought I would revisit the book written by Jon Krakauer.

Gals, guys.... this is a great book, even the second time around. If you've not read it, please put it on your list...spellbinding, quick read....

cheers,
Lopsang Sherpa

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Into Thin Air
Indeed. Just watched the movie Meru.... WOW! great film...

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:44 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Not seen it yet but , the events are famous. These days I'm not sure I want to watch that phone call from the mountain home, doesnt bear thinking about, though the whole thing is a stark reminder that nature is much bigger than us...not matter what some think.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Agree - 1st time post. Meru was awesome - I ran into Conrad Anker at a NorthFace store in San Francisco - very cool and approachable. Into Thin Air is a great book (there is a version with photos that is especially interesting).

I recently ordered a Railboard and it shipped yesterday (anticipating delivery on Thursday). I have been obsessively watching the Free Hands DVD and Tony Levin youtube videos! I am stoked about being in the Stick community! Any advice would be welcomed!

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:51 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Welcome your holiness, stickbuddha... great suffering while waiting for a Stick.... however, there is an end to suffering.... UPS MAN!!! Good on Ya!!! Welcome to this great community of players and teachers!!!! Tlev, is a great one, also highly recommend lessons with Greg Howard, the sooner the better!!! Also, Steve A is here, an incredible voice on the instrument and great teacher, and Dbro too... his Chord Bingo is an excellent tool for learning theory and chords. All of these teachers are very generous and each has a unique way they approach the instrument.
Gyate! Gyate, Para Sam Gyate Boddhi Svah!
:ugeek:

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Great book!!

My best friend I've known since I was seven lives in Colorado and climbs all over the world (note: he was out of communication in Nepal during the earthquake and scared the shit out of us for several days until he finally turned up). My wife also used to climb. She's been up Rainier several times, reached the summit of Kilimanjaro in 1999, and stopped short of the top of Aconcagua a couple of years after that.

We both liked the Everest movie but found Meru to be just incredible. We had also met Alex Lowe just a couple of months before he died in the avalanche they talked about in that movie. He was at an outfitters store in the Detroit area talking about a first ascent he'd recently done around Baffin Island. That was really sad.

Added note ... I remember seeing the movie "Vertical Limit" with a bunch of climbers. A horrible film and the climbers in the theater made sure everybody knew it :-)

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery