It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm

Temporary "Stick Guilt" 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Temporary "Stick Guilt"
Did I just feel some Stick Guilt over the last couple of weeks? :roll: I got left a Takamine Acoustic on the ship. For some time at home the guitars have languished on the racks , " cant be doing that , got to focus on the Stick.." well I've had a blast With the guitar, I knew in advance so I came armed with Kyser capo and picks, though I mostly finger pick. Got 5 songs ready for an open mic test drive almost, Jack Johnson, Bruce Cockburn, Pete Murray ( Australian) ,maybe the Indigo Girls & Neil Young. Feel like I've had a kind of Reniassance. The Project Office is a Nice reverberant Space I can belt it out and not bother anyone. But fear not, The Alto Stick is still moving along too, among all this , though I really miss the new Grand 12 waiting for me at home.
Among all this I've suddenly become interested in Loopers, for the guitar moreso than the stick and find myself watching youtube Clips of the TC Electronic Ditto X2 thinking " wow , what I dould do with that!" never sparked my interest before. A couple of bars have asked about me doing a night , adding in the guitar also means I now have enough to fill it.
Point is, its been quite a refreshing musical diversion, but unfortunately I hear ship work calling right now....Over & Out

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Temporary "Stick Guilt"
I will have Andy share his story about hiding his newly purchased Stick from his basses. I love that story.

It feels good to get back on your native instrument from time to time. More and more, the Stick starts to feel like my primary instrument although I still have not come close to singing with it the way I do with guitar or bass.

I am selling my boomerang III. It's not me. I've tried it and it's too much. Glenn does it SO FRICKIN well. Musical and refreshing.

On a totally unrelated note, we saw Vance Gloster break out a Drum Buddy and get some really good sound with it. That looks fun for solo gigs.

Thanks for posting this Bruce, always enjoy hearing about life on the sea AND knowing that somewhere out there, you are entertaining dozens in these coastal towns with it. Press on man!

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Temporary "Stick Guilt"
No guilt at all, I find finger style acoustic is great cross training for Stick, as well as my NS. After attending an Interlochen finger style guitar clinic with Muriel Anderson a couple years ago, I picked up her DVD on "50 RH Techniques Every Guitar player Should Know". Nowadays I typically pick my NS with an acoustic finger style more than how a bassist would pick it. For the Grand, I like to translate some of the four - six note guitar chords and see how many notes I can fit on the melody side before i start grabbing notes of the bass side. You start seeing what Steve Adleson refers to as polychords.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:52 pm