It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:09 am

Bruford, on Fripp 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Bruford, on Fripp
I picked up a cheapie copy of Bill Bruford's autobiography, admittedly for the snippets on Fripp, but the whole book is a terrific read.

The snippets don't disappoint: 'Adrian Belew is a father; Robert Fripp is not. When my children were small, there was always a cookie-monster in Adrian's suitcase when he came to visit. When Robert came to visit, his idea of fun was to tell the same children at the same age that their necks were so pretty and appealing that he'd like to sink his teeth into them and lick their blood. Their mother was speechless for days.'

Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:46 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Bruford, on Fripp
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably pick it up after I finish Stick Man.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:10 am

Buford is one of my all time favorite drummers. I had the good fortune of attending a drum seminar that he gave in Dallas in the mid 80s. He talked about the spaces between the notes being more interesting to him than the notes themselves - what a jazzy concept! I have his autobio but haven't committed to it yet. Glad you liked it - now I'm motivated.

Just got my first stick last Friday (Black Railboard) - just noodling so far but I'm pretty stoked!

Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:14 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

He's one of my favorites, along with Stewart Copeland,m Matt Chamberlain and Joey Baron. Definitely need to get this one!

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

earthgene wrote:
He's one of my favorites, along with Stewart Copeland,m Matt Chamberlain and Joey Baron. Definitely need to get this one!

Matt is swell. I've hung with him on a few occasions. My buddy who was going to pick me up for FHA a few years back used to play with him in The New Bohemians.

Gene, if you're in the L.A. zone, have a look out for my buddy Dave Palmer. His resume is not quite as impressive as his prowess, particularly in a fast bebop jazz context. www.davepalmermusic.com

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:37 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

earthgene wrote:
Matt Chamberlain

Matt rocked. Played for Ten Hands, one of my fav bands from back in the early 90s when I first started going to see shows in Austin...

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Quote:
Buford is one of my all time favorite drummers. I had the good fortune of attending a drum seminar that he gave in Dallas in the mid 80s. He talked about the spaces between the notes being more interesting to him than the notes themselves - what a jazzy concept! I have his autobio but haven't committed to it yet. Glad you liked it - now I'm motivated.

One of my lasting regrets concerned that very day. Y'see, before Bill did that thing in Dallas, he'd spent the day at N. TX State Music School in Denton. Some of my band mates went to the masterclass he did. I was on campus that day, working, and didn't know about it 'till it was over! My favorite drummer! A couple of hundred yards away! and I missed it. Apparently he'd been jamming on stage with some of the best NTSU players, like Chris Colflat.

Ditto for the UK stopover in Baton Rouge in '78. I was in my dorm hanging out and he was half a mile away at the Leisure Landing record store with Holdsworth, Wetton, and Jobson. Missed it! got to attend the concert that evening though, and that blew me away.

R

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:56 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Matt is rad. I think I rattled on about him in another thread. Inclined played a couple of shows at the Bacchanal out in SD once upon a time, after me and Brad Houser stayed in touch. We hooked up a few shows with Critterz Buggin at The Lingerie. They played once as a trio as John had quit the night before. Skerrick's shit is wild, still is.

Looking forward to reading the Bruford book as One of a Kind definitely struck a chord with me. It was a bit Proggy for my taste, but it was a great lineup and a great time for music.

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

"One of a Kind". sexiest vocals i've ever heard. Whoops. "Feels Good to Me". Annette Peacock. wanna check out the book, read about his tenure w/ Jamie Muir

Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery