It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

Lonnie Mack RIP 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Lonnie Mack RIP
This guy was kinda overlooked I guess because he fell into the generation just before that of the blues guitar heroes from the mid 60s/70s like Clapton, Hendrix, Roy Buchannon, Danny Gatton, Jeff Beck, Duane Allman and Dickey Betts. But all those guys and especially Johnny Winter and Stevie Ray Vaughn lapped up and internalized every lick Lonnie played and his influence can be readily seen. He spent most of his life and career in Indiana and Ohio so was not exactly a household name. Just a regional guy with a few records. I remember many hours sitting in a room with Duane Allman trying to figure out Lonnie's licks in the early 60s on his instrumental cover of "Memphis". His death yesterday at age 74 was also subsumed into the wall to wall coverage of Prince's untimely demise but for those who are unaware of Lonnie's music he bears taking note of. He was an important rock, gospel, blues and Americana picker and soulful vocalist right up there with the best of his ilk and had few peers at that time.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgYzSTiXgcE[/youtube]

Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:54 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Lonnie Mack RIP
I didnt hear that in the news, but yep he was something else and way down here in Australia I still have a copy of his album " Strike like lightning" which I think I got because of the connection with SRV. RIP :cry:

Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery