It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 am

Appreciating things while you have them 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Appreciating things while you have them
The Tragically Hip are playing their final concert tomorrow. This is a band that is deeply entrenched in Canadian culture and an enormously important band for myself in my teenage years. Sadly, singer/lyricist/frontman Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer and will be lucky to see 2017.

As I got older my musical tastes shifted and I listened to The Hip less and less, however, they are still absolutely mandatory for all road trips ;) I used to be a huge Daily Show/Colbert Report fan too, and fell out of the habit of watching those as well, and then, suddenly, they were gone also. I also passed on the last RUSH concert too, not realizing that it may be the last time I could see them live.

Thankfully, I will have the opportunity to see the big show on the CBC tomorrow, so perhaps I will get a sense of closure then? Why is it we as humans are often so prone to taking things for granted in life?

The Radnecks

http://www.theradnecks.com

Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:34 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Appreciating things while you have them
Sacrosanct wrote:

Why is it we as humans are often so prone to taking things for granted in life?

Well worth contemplating in modern times.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Appreciating things while you have them
piratebruce wrote:
Well worth contemplating in modern times.

I guess it's about aging too. As we get older the people, things, and institutions that were once pillars in our lives go away or change and it's easy to feel like your losing a piece of yourself as well. Knowing that that thing no longer exists in the world.

Nothing connects me to my past-self like music does. Listening to certain music not only evokes memories of various times and places, but also just the sort of raw energy of being (if that makes sense) that I felt when I first listened to it. I imagine most people feel the same, especially here.

The Radnecks

http://www.theradnecks.com

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:32 pm