It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 am

The source of creative music 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: The source of creative music
I suppose instead of a Venn diagram, it would make more sense to consider it like a stat list for a role playing game. Certainly everybody has some of each category. Theory does have a sound. You can tell by chord and scale choices, time signature and so forth. Instead of taking the diagram so literally, or disliking the example, I was hoping it would spark self reflection and sharing. I think we all try to find our balance based on our preferences. Personally, I need a strong mix of theory, expression, and spirituality. I enjoy technique, but technique as a forefront bores me. I have seen a fair amount of jazz that misses on spirituality and expression.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:39 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

sagehalo wrote:
I suppose instead of a Venn diagram, it would make more sense to consider it like a stat list for a role playing game. Certainly everybody has some of each category.

I like the stat list better than the Venn diagram! We have a few low stats, and can bring them up with practice and gear. (Insert that video from Gene with Hitler trying to get Stevie Ray's tone through better gear and not finger strength.)

Now if I could just find a Hat of Sightreading +4, and maybe a Choker of Non-Choking (while playing live) and what am I gonna do with this Pick of Rocking....?

It lends itself more to the gamer ideas of grinding (practicing) and leveling up. At level 10, you get to add another instrument, or another tuning.

Uses his stats on the next gig at the roadhouse:
FAILS HIS SAVING THROW AGAINST TRUCKERS! Now, see how much that high charisma score does!

Angry crowd advances on our Stickist adventurers..."We've got both kinds of music here: country AND Western..."

Steve Adelson raises Vorpal Stick of Blues Summoning and yells "Leroy Jenkins!!!!" Kills.

:evil:

--Steve

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lol so y'all gonna give musicians stats now? Bahaha dungeons and dragons or Warcraft kind of thing? This thread is hilarious! I hope it never ends! I can't wait to get my character sheet or whatever, do we roll dice or something for our base stats before we level up? Do Stickists do dungeons? Omfg I could go on forever!

Don't forget to go get your instrument "enchanted" for more buffs, and if you are playing in a group you better figure out who is tanking and who is doing heals....holy fuck, I am in tears laughing so hard! Still, it's your opinions and you are entitled to them. Just remember that as you try to classify, grade and profile others you will also be profiled, graded and classified.

Well, while you guys are busy doing player stats, I will be practicing and studying. No worries, I still love you guys but man, this is funny stuff. Hahaha

Leeeeeroy Jenkins!

Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:11 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Seriously, here is a tune, it applies to this thread. Listen to the lyrics...
OK, I am gonna go worry about myself now fun's over. Sorry for oversharing lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGIUtLO_x8g

Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:48 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

There's a "human element " to playing music or making art of any kind, singing, painting , dancing, talking, whatever, that no amount of practicing or studying will entirely draw out or perfect, though one mans perfection is another mans boring multimodal solo.
Thats why it's art and not calculus.
I dont mind the diagram as a point of discussion, people have started PHd's on a lesser premise.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

sagehalo wrote:
. I enjoy technique, but technique as a forefront bores me. I have seen a fair amount of jazz that misses on spirituality and expression.

And I think the above is also what I meant. :D

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

http://www.elibrary.com.ng/UploadFiles/file0_1490.pdf

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:24 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lol awesome. Best diagram ever... sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't! Sometimes there is nothing to get...

But all kidding aside guys, if diagraming and statistic-afying helps make things more tangible for y'all, go for it. Whatever works for you! I just happen to disagree, and am completely happy to let you know!

Also, does it not strike y'all as odd that there a bunch of tunes (original works) posted by a bunch of people trying to be creative, and instead of posting in those threads, here we are "professorizing"... ?

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:01 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:34 am