It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:49 am

the imaginary space inside the Stick... 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post the imaginary space inside the Stick...
Hey guys, this may be great or crappy, who knows here goes...

While practicing this morning I was paying especial care to finger height, playing my arpeggios with the lowest possible fingering. It seems to add a subtle musical advantage. I'm almost touching the strings in advance of playing them.

Of course there's a kinasthetic component, otherwise you'd break your neck staring all the time at your hands. But there's an aesthetic to the kinasthetic...

The feeling of your finger resting on the string - we can play with that feeling.
What if you imagine your finger resting not on the string, but inside the body of the instrument? With that imaginary destination, listen to each note and see if you get an improvement of tone.

There are analogies on sports and martial arts - when you hit a softball with a bat, your coach tells you to swing all the way through the ball - the extra motion beyond the contact of the ball gives more momentum to it as it sails towards the outfield.

In martial arts, someone who wants to make the kickbag move will imagine putting his fist or foot all the way through it.

So, this imposed practice room illusion of mine may serve you. Experiment! I'm liking it, but my current inspiration may be fooling my ears. Let me know what you think about that.

Thanks for indulging me,

R

Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:03 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: the imaginary space inside the Stick...
Be the Note! Be the Note!

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I am big into visualization, so you can be sure I was inspired by this. More recently during performances, I have been pausing before I play for a few seconds to ensure I am ready. I have found that I am also doing this before I practice - which was unconscious, but certainly worthwhile.

In my next session, I will be sure to check my height - no wasted movements, it just makes good sense.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

The key to speed accuracy and ergonomics in general on any fingered instrument is economy of motion with no more and no less energy than is absolutely necessary. Also trying every possible fingering of every phrase you play in the order you're going to play it. You might have to play one the hard way to make the other ones easy. All the best musicians I've ever picked the brains of have told me that.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:27 am