It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

King Crimson "Discipline" 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: King Crimson "Discipline"
Jayesskerr wrote:
heartstrings wrote:
+1. Coming from the guitar, I fell into the tapping world by way of Stanley Jordan. At that time, I had never heard of King Crimson, Tony Levin, the Chapman Stick, or Emmett himself. In 1994, I saw an ad for the Stick in a guitar mag, and thus began the magnificent obsession. I was a broke kid working crappy jobs, so my father did me the greatest kindness ever by buying me my first Stick, ironwood #745.

While waiting for the instrument, I bought some Stick CDs through SE so I could hear examples of its potential. The King Crimson album "Thrak" was among them. Stylistically, it wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but the things Tony and Trey were pulling off on their Sticks was just amazing. The album a!so yielded one of the most beautiful songs I'd ever heard; the ethereal, Orbison-esque "Walking on Air." Good memories.

See, Stanley is someone I am pretty familiar with! I feel like he's really taken tapping to extremes. And with only 6 strings! Probably as good or better than anyone else doing that, really...

Interesting thing about Stanley and even Charlie Hunter, they're unfortunately not known for busting the charts with music. Stanley has always wrestled with being accepted as a "Guitarist" first. In an article in GuitarPlayer, he once stated he wanted people to think of him as just a "Guitarist" and overall that really hasn't happened. When I think Guitarist I think of Gambale, Holdsworth, Govan etc.. etc..

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

pcgonzales wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
heartstrings wrote:
+1. Coming from the guitar, I fell into the tapping world by way of Stanley Jordan. At that time, I had never heard of King Crimson, Tony Levin, the Chapman Stick, or Emmett himself. In 1994, I saw an ad for the Stick in a guitar mag, and thus began the magnificent obsession. I was a broke kid working crappy jobs, so my father did me the greatest kindness ever by buying me my first Stick, ironwood #745.

While waiting for the instrument, I bought some Stick CDs through SE so I could hear examples of its potential. The King Crimson album "Thrak" was among them. Stylistically, it wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but the things Tony and Trey were pulling off on their Sticks was just amazing. The album a!so yielded one of the most beautiful songs I'd ever heard; the ethereal, Orbison-esque "Walking on Air." Good memories.

See, Stanley is someone I am pretty familiar with! I feel like he's really taken tapping to extremes. And with only 6 strings! Probably as good or better than anyone else doing that, really...

Interesting thing about Stanley and even Charlie Hunter, they're unfortunately not known for busting the charts with music. Stanley has always wrestled with being accepted as a "Guitarist" first. In an article in GuitarPlayer, he once stated he wanted people to think of him as just a "Guitarist" and overall that really hasn't happened. When I think Guitarist I think of Gambale, Holdsworth, Govan etc.. etc..

True, but I think that Stanley has had some decent commercial success; I mean, he's played with a lot of REALLY big names, been on the Late show, and sold quite a few albums... I feel like he has probably achieved a lot... Frank Gambale hasn't hit Late Night TV nearly as much as Stanley, lol

From his Wikipedia;
"Jordan has worked with Quincy Jones, Onaje Allan Gumbs, Michal Urbaniak, Richie Cole, The Dave Matthews Band, The String Cheese Incident, Phil Lesh, Moe, Umphrey's McGee.

He has performed at many jazz festivals, including Kool Jazz Festival (1984), Concord Jazz Festival (1985), and the Montreux International Jazz Festival (1985).

In 2004, he released the album Dreams of Peace with the Italian band Novecento. The album was produced by Lino Nicolosi and Pino Nicolosi at Nicolosi Productions and was released in the U.S. on Favored Nations. He signed with Mack Avenue Records and released State of Nature in 2008 and Friends in 2011. The latter was nominated for an NAACP Image Award. He has four Grammy nominations.

Jordan made the startup sound for the Macintosh computer models the Power Macintosh 6100, Power Macintosh 7100, and Power Macintosh 8100.

Jordan made a cameo appearance in the movie Blind Date (1987). In 1995 he wrote the score for the short film One Red Rose. In 1996 he wrote the score for the ABC TV afternoon special, Daddy's Girl.

Since the mid 1980s he has performed on numerous television shows, including The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, The David Letterman Show and the Grammy Awards."

We have some work to do with the Stick I would say...

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:48 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
True, but I think that Stanley has had some decent commercial success; I mean, he's played with a lot of REALLY big names,

Really big names? I think Chic Corea is a Really big name, but I guess I'm biased. Yes I remember Jordan on that movie with Bruce Willis etc.. pretty funny movie actually.

But his resume is no different than many other greats. He's good no doubt but I don't remember hearing him on Jazz radio back when there was actually local jazz stations that played more modern music but those days are gone in Phoenix! I guess I'd have to get satellite radio to hear him on radio? Don't think he visits Phoenix very much either.

We all got into tapping for our own reasons, oddly mine had nothing to do with inspiration by players! LOL

Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Quincy Jones is a pretty big name, so is late night with Carson, Letterman and Fallon...

Don't get me wrong, I love Frank, and the Corea band is a big one to be sure. Just saying that Stanley's done pretty good I think...

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:00 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Sadly more people know who Ritchie Sambora is than any of our heroes listed here! LOL

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

pcgonzales wrote:
Sadly more people know who Ritchie Sambora is than any of our heroes listed here! LOL

VERY true, Pete. Although, Sambora's done a thing or two that isn't too bad. Of course, we all know that the GREATEST Bonjovi moments are when Jeff Beck guested...

Hmmn, I wonder how Sambora would fare in King Crimson? I wonder how whacky stuff would get...

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:07 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
I won't lie, that's a cool piece of music. Thanks, dudes.

I am thinking I am literally the only guy who owns a Stick who never really listened to King Crimson before.

I'm the other guy Scott so dont panic!
Maybe I should investigate it more , or my tastes are more simple perhaps. In reality how I imagine the Stick and what it does, or can do, is not really what I've seen in KC, not wanting to start a fight about lengendary players.
Its art after all , all viewed through different eyes & ears. :D

Last edited by piratebruce on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

piratebruce wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
I won't lie, that's a cool piece of music. Thanks, dudes.

I am thinking I am literally the only guy who owns a Stick who never really listened to King Crimson before.

I'm the other guy Scott so dont panic!
Maybe I should investigate it more , or my tastes are more simple perhaps. In reality how I imagine the Stick and what it does, or can do, is not really what I've seen in KC, not wanting to start a fight about lengendary players.
Its art after all , all viewed through different eyes & ears. :D

hehehe Ok, so there might be, like 5 Stick players not really that influenced by King Crimson!

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:38 pm