It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 am

Great albums lately.... and if not albums, what? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Great albums lately.... and if not albums, what?
So, music, Art, Chapman stick? How is art created today? It seems to be changing quickly.
It’s hard to justify pressing CD’s (hard to make your money back) . But, art endours.... so what “albums” have knocked you out lately? For me the last two Julian Lage CDs. But what has grabbed you?! And , if not a cd what? A video? A live concert? What?

Brett

Tue May 29, 2018 9:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Great albums lately.... and if not albums, what?
I grew up on albums, but I always enjoyed listening to, and creating, mix tapes. Nowadays, it's just called streaming. Generally if I find an artist in the streaming process, I'll travel down that road through their albums. Here are a few that I've really enjoyed.

TuneYards are in pretty heavy rotation these days. African influenced rhythms, live looping, ukulele,

Water Fountain

Mastodon is a breath of fresh air. This performance is pretty tame as it's on Conan, but they get pretty heavy and it's a nice singing configuration with everyone pitching in on vox and songwriting. Leviathan was the album for me.

Show Yourself

Animals as leaders is, well, gnarly. Two 8-string guitarists and a drummer who's boundaries are yet to be discovered.

The Woven Web

Tue May 29, 2018 11:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Not that long ago some friends suggested we go to a lush little jazz venue in a city laneway called The Paris Cat. I'm not a jazz guy as such and dont see that much but it was an inspiring night & I was genuinely amazed at the level these guys had taken their art to. The music was afro cuban inspired , the band leader ( Sax ) had toured and worked in Cuba quite a bit but is an Australian.
He had brought out a Cuban Conga player and that was almost the standout, when he got going it was astonishing to see his hands going for it. Be it the drummer , Upright Bass, piano or sax I really enjoyed seeing musicians of that calibre. :D So yep, I was a bit knocked out by it.

Wed May 30, 2018 4:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

In the last four months:

A high school friend of mine (and also of Glenn Poorman) who now lives in New York came back to Michigan a few months ago to play in Ann Arbor, he's a professional jazz trumpet player.

Not long after that there was another jazz concert at Oz's Music also in Ann Arbor. Both the bass player and drummer were the same guys that played for our friend. It always fascinates me how these jazz guys just get together and perform with little to no rehearsal and play so well.

Billy McLaughlin who I've met at Interlochen and another seminar on Michigan's west side on lake Michigan, performed a few miles from my house. After the show he hung out for an hour or so. Was cool talking to him and seeing him play again.

Went to another friend's concert in Ypsilanti that was experimental electronic music. He played drums, trumpet, and Zen Drum. The other two guys played guitar, electric Sitar, and some custom built modular synths hooked to a theremin.

Saw Don Ross perform for the first time - same place I saw Billy at near my home.

Attended a lecture at the University of Michigan by Dr Bill Bruford. Bought his book, and received an autographed poster as well.

Two days ago I attended another jazz concert at Oz's, first time I've had the opportunity to see the bass player perform - he sits in as a teacher once a month in our weekly adult group guitar classes. I've been going to Oz's classes since 2008 just to keep me active with other people musically. Occasionally we have performed locally.

Purchased the latest CD from another friend who is a local musician and teacher. I have a few of his other albums, but i like this one the best, has somewhat a Tom Petty vibe going with it.

For me personally - picked up the new "Led Zeppelin The Complete Studio Recordings" book. Has every song by them including the solos transcribed for guitar. I recently picked up a new electric guitar, so this book has been keeping me busy.

2018 has got off to a great start :)

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:24 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ben Lacy, Ben Lacy and Ben Lacy
Plus the artists I've had the honor of jamming with at our Long Beach Jazz Festival including Michael Manring, Omar Hakim, Jeff Berlin. Stanley Jordan, Oz Noy, Rachel Z Charlie Hunter, Ben etc. So musically enriching.
The influence of great pianists, guitarists, drummers and bassists is essential to our growth as Stick players. Listen, play, get involved, learn, grow

Steve A

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lenny Breau (Everything)

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:46 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

check out these great stick albums :

https://derekdallenger.bandcamp.com/

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:19 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Album's from this century that I enjoy frequently:

Magic Pie - Circus of Life
IQ - Frequency
Neal Morse - The Similitude of a Dream
Spock's Beard - Snow

If you like, see if they grab you, too.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:17 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Gizmodrome-Stewart Copeland, Adrian Belew, Mark King, Vittorio Cosma. Different.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery