It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:35 pm

Positive Freakout - Peak Experience 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Positive Freakout - Peak Experience
rodan07 wrote:
How many people are still astonished at the very existence of this wonderful instrument?

Every day, every day! <3

I've played it for 7 years now. First four months a Grand, but then I gravitaded towards the shorter-scaled SG-12 that I now have two of. It has taken the place as my main solo concert instrument, as I go out and play in churches, institutions, exhibitions and all kind of situations where a melodic traditional music style is appreciated. Before the Stick I was booked almost only for experimental electronic festivals and only a few times a year, so the Stick has really expanded my musical praxis.

I love the way it allows you to improvise with harmonization and melody. Anything you come up with on the fly sounds like "normal music" and I don't play any other instrument that provides the same level of instant composition capability (piano and harp would though, but I don't play those).

The Stick is just the king of instruments! Next gig, coming up in ten days, is a singer-songwriter festival and for some un-known reason they booked me to come play instrumental music. I'll do an hour of fifty percent my own pieces and the rest classical, nordic-ethno trad stuff and some psalms. In another part of the program I will "illustrate and deepen" poetry readings with the SG12; for this I won't play a lot of notes but do more of "tap dancing" over a huge pedal-board to live-sample, loop and process Stick-noise. I could, of course, do that electronic soundscape shaping with a flute or cello, but using the Stick feels very safe because in a situation where I might have, mistakenly, painted the show into a corner the Stick offers a trustworthy safe-way out: I can just bridge over into a section of playing melodic traditional music on the Stick and then, from there, slowly morph into another electronic space :-) The Stick is the strongest work-horse I know for a musical solo performer.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

You all have my gratitude for this "Freakout" thread, which "hits home" with some of the most rewarding and colorful phrases about The Stick and its playing method:

"...two horses in harness."
"...more enchanting each day"
"...that thing..."
"...becomes a gateway..."
"...such a simple device with such a broad expressive capacity."
"...not trying to look like a guitar."
"...a tabula rasa on which to explore terra incognita."
"...My left hand is much more interesting and melodic on a Stick than on a piano."
"...The journey is the thing."
"...normal music...on the fly..."
"...the king of instruments."
"...the strongest work-horse..."

These are all concepts I know and love. They were guidelines to my instrument design and my music. Pardon me for collecting them here but I couldn't resist. Many thanks, and to rodan07 (whoever you are) for the thread.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:25 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Playing the Chapman Stick makes me feel the way I felt when I first discovered that music is a pliable and creative thing. I was about 13 when that first happened and every now and then, I've found I can rekindle that with this instrument.

It has also sapped time from my family and friends. It has caused immense stress in my marriage, it's caused frustration with regards to the dual mono signal paths, it's caused some dissension among bandmates and colleagues. Truthfully, it's not ALL good. It's light and shadow.

I still have moments when I feel that my Stick playing overshadows my musicianship, but I am learning to let that go. I've started picking up the bass and guitar more frequently and doing more listening in general. That's all a part of my journey, or, freakout. So, at times, it's a cold and broken hallelujah.

I think that might not have been part of Emmett's intention, but I expect that has been a part of his journey too. It sure as heckfire has been a part of mine.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Yeah Gene, my journey too. I'm like the Italian map maker for the New World who got all the credit (Amerigo - North, South and Central). I've drawn some maps but I can't change the continental contours. The journey always encounters unexpected terrain.

Also, you're about the last person I'd suspect of prioritizing instrument and technique over music and soul. From what I've seen and heard, you play the music that's in your head (and heart), expression coming first, both personal and cultural.

Still, I feel that The Stick itself will lead you somewhere new and I admire those who "play the instrument according to the instrument" (as I say), except that there are a million ways to do that.

So for me, the journey has always been one of cross-fertilization - what's in my head plus what's in the fingers on the fretboard. Here's a pair of matching metaphors - Stick as trampoline, Stick as catapult. You can use the extra bounce (or the sling or fling) to extend your musical ideas pell-mell into territory you wouldn't otherwise ever experience.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:40 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yeah man, like a springboard into the Musical Pool of Life. You could just jump in, but why not do it with some creativity and finesse? I'm pretty sure guitarists are more inclined to yell CANNONBALL before entering.

The transition from guitar / bass / mandolin to Stick was not without some challenges, the details of which I will spare everyone. What I have discovered is that the Stick can be used in the most interesting ways, much of this without any additional processing and confined only to the imagination of the player.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I had my first "Freak Out" when I heard "Return of the Son of the Monster Magnet". I had my second "Freakout" when the Stick made Itself my main instrument. It makes me play Music. Yes, Capt. Strings, the "immediacy" of It. Thank you Emmett.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Quote:
Playing the Chapman Stick ...has also sapped time from my family and friends. It has caused immense stress in my marriage, ... Truthfully, it's not ALL good. It's light and shadow.

OMG Gene, you've just defined the word Passion!

That's what it is. A passion involves suffering - by its very nature it creates tension and damages relationships.

But it's so worthwhile, because it's your path to follow.

R

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:33 am