It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:08 am

Goodbye Mr. Howard 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Goodbye Mr. Howard
It was a send-off fit for a king. Friends, family, and fellow musicians gathered to say goodbye to Greg Howard. One of our most illustrious visionaries in the Chapman Stick world. The service involved readings from Grace Chapman and myself, a beautiful tribute from one of Greg's oldest friends John D'Earth, and of course Greg's music. We moved from the service over to Greg's home where a large tent was put up with a nice spread of food/drink and a stage setup. A group of musicians from Charlottesville assembled to perform. There were also other musicians who took the stage in between numbers from the band. A live Zoom session was setup and people from all corners of the world were able to speak their peace for the assembled crowd. Jim Meyer read several emails aloud that people who weren't able to attend sent in tribute. All people who Greg had touched with his music, his instruction, and his friendship. As the evening wore on, several of the Stick players in attendance took turns playing tunes on some of Greg's instruments. Gene Perry broke the ice playing some Bach but then the rest of us followed suit. Paul Walters and his son had brought along several cans of "Arrogant Bastard" (one of Greg's favorite beers) and the Stick folks gathered to pass glasses of the beer around, drink toasts, and tell our favorite Greg stories. It was like nobody wanted the day to end. The whole situation that brought us together was suddenly very real and it was like we were finally putting a period at the end of this latest chapter.

When Greg passed, many people began putting their thoughts into words. I kept reading the excellent tributes but just couldn't find it in me to do the same. I was waiting for the fog to lift and provide a little clarity. After this weekend, I think the clarity I was waiting for is the realization that this isn't about me. It's about the huge legacy that Greg leaves behind. So to honor Greg's memory, listen to music, play music, create music, and occasionally raise a glass to the man himself. His work is done. Ours is just beginning.

Goodbye Greg! You were one of a kind!

Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Goodbye Mr. Howard
Well said Glenn. It was great seeing you… I plan on making it a point to get together with you again at a seminar.

Brett

Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

One day I said something in one of Greg's posts here, about me being a very broke Stick player on disability and not being able to afford his new DVD Stick tutorial. A few days later I receive a parcel with his DVD, and a note saying, "Don't tell anyone, just use this."
Sorry Greg I just told everyone.

Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
Well said Glenn. It was great seeing you… I plan on making it a point to get together with you again at a seminar. Brett

Likewise! And that would be lovely!

AnDroiD wrote:
One day I said something in one of Greg's posts here, about me being a very broke Stick player on disability and not being able to afford his new DVD Stick tutorial. A few days later I receive a parcel with his DVD, and a note saying, "Don't tell anyone, just use this."
Sorry Greg I just told everyone.

I love this! Typical too!

Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I never met Greg in real life. But the whole story also takes a lot out of me emotionally.

There are a few things - very few - that we had in common:
we were the same age.
we loved and played the same instrument (one of us long and successfully and professional, the other shorter and less...successfully and professional).
we had a short but very entertaining discourse about Bach on the Stick and I think there was a kind of respect and kinship between us.
we both loved wenge Sticks.
we had similar health problems at a similar time.

There are a few things we didn't have in common:
I'm a mediocre musician who at some point in my life didn't make the right decision and neglected music.
I also use the pinky of the right hand.
I have some follow ups in the last few months, I have to go back to the doctors for a check up in September.
I was incredibly lucky: "Earliest" detection without any symptoms.

I don't know this kind of farewell, it's not common where I live. But I find it a very nice way to say goodbye to someone. I would have liked to have been there.

I don't want to annoy anyone with my text. Please excuse me if that's the case. It's just my emotion for someone I - without knowing - appreciate very much.

Wenge #6716 ACTV-2
Rosewood ALTO #5686 Stickup

Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:06 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for sharing Glenn.

I had three encounters with Greg during my Texas days, and two since I moved to Canada. It was always great to catch up with him wherever we met around the continent, at various seminars, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BrianBaggett306

Lap Bars: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/chapma ... -lap-bars/
TAGG Interface: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/tagg-interface/

Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:24 pm