It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:49 am

Emmett recording? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Emmett recording?
Checking the Stick Chapman items on Ebay, I found a seller selling a Michal Urbaniak (violin - jazz fusion) LP. After a quick research, I found out that Emmett contributed to this cd with a piece written by Urbaniak and Emmett, called Piece for 15 strings...
Anyone has heard from that? Does anyone know where we could have a chance to hear that tune (as far as I know, the disc hasn't been published on a cd format). Perhaps, Emmett has some nice story to tell about that... Emmett, are you in da house??? ;)

Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Emmett recording?
Yes Bruno, "15" Strings", was a duo improv recording of Polish violinist Michal Urbaniak and me on 10-string Stick in 1976. I've kept all my LPs organized into musical genres, and his fusion LP "Smiles Ahead" is in my "friends" section.

My favorite of those recordings were two that didn't get released, both improv duos with his vocalist wife, Urszula. It was her first day with one of the first harmonizers ever produced and I set up multiple whole step and 5th intervals for her voice. I have a studio copy, quarter inch, half track tape of the recording. She enjoyed scatting with the novel intervallic effect and I had a great time playing "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" and another totally improvised piece that had a strong compositional flavor.

I also recorded and played live with their young drummer Sonship, an unusual percussive stylist. Those were great days in NYC. Best, Emmett.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:46 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks Emmett for that great answer!
Is there any chance to let us listen to that, if you have the permission to release them or to get that extracts online?
Bruno

Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

grozoeil wrote:
Thanks Emmett for that great answer!
Is there any chance to let us listen to that, if you have the permission to release them or to get that extracts online?
Bruno

I second that, I'd love to hear it!

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:53 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

@ Emmett : I'm sure you have some unreleased recordings some of us would really like to hear... What about releasing a kind of b-side (and not Bsharp) recording?

Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Thanks for asking Bruno. I do have a lot of old Stick recordings, some of them digitized in audio or video. Greg and I have been slowly working on a CD and DVD project that would compile these early concerts from 1971 to about 1982.

My duos with violinist Michal Urbaniak and Urszula Dudziak would definitely be among them, also some Stick/drum duos with musicians you might recognize.

This is not to mention a couple of albums worth of new material I'd like to record now or compile from recent recordings. I like to rearrange well known standard themes using unusual chord progressions and then improvise on the novel arrangement. These "standards", however, are from all genres, including film scores, old classical "hits", Italian opera, religious themes, Broadway show tunes, pop standards and Latin favorites. Once in a while, I come up with my own original, usually based on a new discovery in music theory or Stick technique.

This is my "Indian war dance". Maybe it'll rain. Emmett

Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:01 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hope that record will appear soon! Your one and only record as a leader have been the first Stick record I ever heard, together with the first cd from Ron Baggerman. I remember listening to them right after purchased them from Ron (when he was playing all summer long in Cannes, not far from my home). Your record, Ron Baggerman's, Jim Lampi's Young Lions and Water of the Moon from Greg have been my first introductions of the Stick and my best recording involving the Stick. I've to say that your open-minded approach of music and uncommon way to re-arrange music standards have deeply change my perception of Music (we are in an inspiration forum, aren't we???). For that, and for creating a tool permitting that, thank you.
Now, I wait for this collection of rare tunes... ;)

Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

For anyone curious ;)

http://www.emazika.info/download/music/10-michal-urbaniak-piece-for-15-strings_39fb7e.html

Enjoy! 8-)

Sat May 07, 2011 9:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

BSharp wrote:
Yes Bruno, "15" Strings", was a duo improv recording of Polish violinist Michal Urbaniak and me on 10-string Stick in 1976. I've kept all my LPs organized into musical genres, and his fusion LP "Smiles Ahead" is in my "friends" section.

My favorite of those recordings were two that didn't get released, both improv duos with his vocalist wife, Urszula. It was her first day with one of the first harmonizers ever produced and I set up multiple whole step and 5th intervals for her voice. I have a studio copy, quarter inch, half track tape of the recording. She enjoyed scatting with the novel intervallic effect and I had a great time playing "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" and another totally improvised piece that had a strong compositional flavor.

I also recorded and played live with their young drummer Sonship, an unusual percussive stylist. Those were great days in NYC. Best, Emmett.

Reading again this discussion and the answer from Emmett... Years passed since. It wold be awesome if Dan, Greg or family/friends from SE could have a look into the audio archives and brought them to life.

Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery