It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:42 pm

Water on the moon 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Water on the moon
Well I guess I'm Greg's biggest fan here (like that fan in "Misery") :o

I feel like I underscore my appreciation (believe it or not). sometimes I just feel like mentioning it.

I don't think saying you like someones music makes them a target.....at least I hope not.

Also Greg is a friend, but even if I couldn't stand him I would still love some of his music.

Life is short, when you appreciate someone or something you should tell them and when it's music you should spread the word. And if you disagree you should say so.

Sagehalo what kind of scientist are you?

Brett

Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

There's nothing wrong with liking and stating you like someone's art. However, it does make the art more open for scrutiny. Unfortunately, some people are unable to properly direct this scrutiny at the art instead of the artist.

Brett, I'm a biochemical engineer.

-Daniel

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:07 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I suppose all added attention adds scrutiny. Just the act of releasing music invites scrutiny.

So I agree with you. What kind of music is a stick playing biochemical engineer into?

Brett

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I'm into progressive rock, current and old. From that center I try to appreciate jazz, fusion, symphonic metal and other forms.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:05 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
Well I guess I'm Greg's biggest fan here (like that fan in "Misery") :o

I feel like I underscore my appreciation (believe it or not). sometimes I just feel like mentioning it.

I don't think saying you like someones music makes them a target.....at least I hope not.

Also Greg is a friend, but even if I couldn't stand him I would still love some of his music.

Life is short, when you appreciate someone or something you should tell them and when it's music you should spread the word. And if you disagree you should say so.

Sagehalo what kind of scientist are you?

Brett
Brett, Many thanks again for your enthusiasm for my music. Once I started teaching I felt like my knowledge was never adequate enough, but each time I perform, I'm reminded about how unimportant knowledge is compared to creativity.

I've always tried, with each recording project, to make a cohesive statement. The only place where I think that didn't work so well was Shapes, whereas I like the pieces individually, it's never worked for me "as a package." I feel like all the rest of my albums succeeded in that regard, as albums, each with a distinct identity, and each quite different from the rest.

But it's been too long since I've made a record. Time to start brewing the next one...

Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
But it's been too long since I've made a record. Time to start brewing the next one...

Quoted for truth. ;)

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:07 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

sagehalo wrote:
There's nothing wrong with liking and stating you like someone's art. However, it does make the art more open for scrutiny. Unfortunately, some people are unable to properly direct this scrutiny at the art instead of the artist.

Brett, I'm a biochemical engineer.

-Daniel
Hi Daniel,

It's a really interesting point you make. There are some artists I just "like" no matter what they do, but for most, it's the art itself that has to appeal to me, and even my favorite musicians have released music that I find un-listenable.

Any constructive criticism of my work is always welcome, especially comments about sound quality. It's never too late to learn from feedback from others.

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks, Greg. I know a person as technical as you are has got to be open to constructive criticism. I just feel badly when the criticism goes in another direction. I am keeping my ears out for any "Spring Training" you might have in Charlottesville. As is, I am barely notching out time to get practice in.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:55 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

sagehalo wrote:
Thanks, Greg. I know a person as technical as you are has got to be open to constructive criticism. I just feel badly when the criticism goes in another direction. I am keeping my ears out for any "Spring Training" you might have in Charlottesville. As is, I am barely notching out time to get practice in.
Hi Daniel,
I'm not aware of too much negative criticism of my music (except what periodically circulates around in my own head...), so if you can point me to some that I might learn something from, I'd love to see it. I've noticed that most of the time when people are willing to put their names on reviews, they don't actually bother to write a negative one, choosing instead to try to steer people in the direction of something they like.

If you want to prime the pump before spring my skype lessons are extremely reasonable ;)

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Greg,

I have read a few different comments (one by user AndroiD), that point to your LH and RH being out of sync according to precise tempo. Other members have pointed to this as intentional and part of the Free Hands motif.

Outside of that, I don't think anyone has been able to be critical of your work effectively.

As to the Skype, when I can consistently set the time aside, I do know your rates are *completely* reasonable. ;)

-Daniel

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 am