It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

Pat Martino's "Nature of Guitar" 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Pat Martino's "Nature of Guitar"
A guitarist friend mentioned this and I immediately wondered about it's potential for the Stick. After looking at some of the diagrams here I'm not sure how useful it might be. Anyone familiar with his theories and have any opinions on how useful they are?

Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Pat Martino's "Nature of Guitar"
I've got to say that I only glanced at the pics, and they gave me a headache.

I'm not saying that
They aren't great, they just aren't for me.

I wish I could think of music this way I just can't (schenerian analysis almost killed me :o )

If someone could "play" this stuff for me I'd love to hear it, but I can't make heads or tails of diagrams.

Brett

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Pat has been a big influence on me. Not just his playing but his life and the few dialogues and playing situations we've had together. When you get to know him, you can see where this geometric concept is coming from. Experiencing his music, the math influence is obvious, but not without a large degree of musicianship. Pat's a monster player. Listen to the "The Great Stream" live version from Live At Folk City recording. Literally changed my musical life. He also has a biography book coming out and I believe there's more than one documenatry on Pat. Worth looking into.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for the recommendations Steve. I've needed to listen to more of his work. Luckily he's going to be playing in my town in December. :)

The geometric theory makes sense from the standpoint of visualizing an instrument. I like how he draws the parallel between the piano's visual design and its relation to the interlocking diatonic and pentatonic scales and the guitar's symmetrical patterns of augmented triads and diminished seventh chords. Seems that without the guitar's 2nd-3rd string tuning the Stick really displays that kind of symmetry throughout the entire fretboard.

Brett Bottomley wrote:
schenerian analysis almost killed me :o )

If someone could "play" this stuff for me I'd love to hear it, but I can't make heads or tails of diagrams.

Brett

That's funny because Schenkerian analysis has got to be the most musical music theoretical tool there is. I mean, you can actually play Schenkerian graphs! :)

But I think Pat's theory is less analytically driven and more of a performance strategy coupled with some interesting chordal theory.

Dave

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:32 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

any recommendations on Pat Martino albums? I've always enjoyed his work, but man, does he have a LOT of it! Not sure which couple of albums would be best to start...

Thanks

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I like Pat's earlier stuff:

1-Live at Folk City
2-Footprints
3-Consciousness

Later CD- Live at Yoshi's

There's also a cool duets album when he first went to Blue Note Records w/ Charlie Hunter, Les Paul, Joe Satriani and others

He's got a long discography. Started early recordings under his real name Pat Azzarra. Organ trios and such. Later psychedelic and Indian influenced.
One of a kind sound and ideas.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

The Pat track that forever changed my musical future
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh7dWHGrkl4

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I think I first saw him back on the old "Studio Jams" show on BET.

Boy - I wish something like that would come around again. A really cool idea for a show and some really great talent.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great show. Pat did that show with Bela Fleck and and a rhythm section. I actually did a solo clip for Studio Jams that hasn't aired due to obvious reasons. We were actually talking about doing one of their jam episodes but alas, they are not broadcast anymore.
But you never know.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

You can play the graphs? Didn't know that.

All I know is that I didn't understand a word of Shenkarian analysis and I got an "A "on my project, which makes me question the authenticity of the theories. I couldn't grasp species counterpoint either but it showed in my grades.

Brett

Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery