It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:38 am

"Mister Tony Levin!" 
Contributor
Contributor

Post "Mister Tony Levin!"
So, as some of you may know, I've been researching and asking questions here for a bit in preparation of buying my first Stick. I've also been looking for good videos of Stick performances. I kept running across some of the same names, over and over (some of you are on here) and one in particular sounded very familiar. "Mr. Tony Levin". Well, I remembered one of the very first times I ever heard of or saw a Stick was a Peter Gabriel performance (top 3 list of musical artists, ever), so I went looking for some of those. And there it was...

I had this double live album on CD when it came out. This is simply the single most influential concert to my music. I had been a Peter Gabriel fan for a long time and had worn out several cassette tapes of his albums before CDs came out. Didn't even know most of the other artists, but now I see "Mr. Tony Levin". Yeah, I remembered Peter introducing him in "Shake the Tree" (20:00 in). Not only did his playing greatly influence how I play (and program) bass, but this album, and others by Peter, greatly influenced my style on the drums as well. Listening to this again for the first time in a long time, I hear a lot of my bass runs and drum patterns (at least what I was trying to play) sounding back at me. I had no idea. Awesome. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3T9ZSFFaVs

Tony, if you're out there. You're the man. Thanks!

Hotshots Gallery
Reserve Production

NS/Stick # EHC 121221 "Maya" :D

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:16 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: "Mister Tony Levin!"
I think Tony is virtually unaware on this sight. I mentioned it to him last year and he was unaware of it, I think I mentioned it in an email to him as well. But, Tony is one of the busiest men in the biz.

So I doubt very much if he will read posts on here.

I think we can all agree that he IS the man though. Most of us discovered Emmett's genius through Tony's playing.

Emmett is the Man and the Dude
Tony is da man
Bob C, Steve A, Michael Bernier and Greg Howard are the real deal!!!!!!

So many wonderful players to check out.......... But Tony is the man

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

So after posting that I ordered that concert on blu-ray. Can't wait. :)
Yeah, I didn't really expect Tony to see my post, but if he ever happens to, that would be an honor.
Emmett, Bob, Howard, etc., it is such an honor just being here with all of you guys...

Thanks!

~M

Hotshots Gallery
Reserve Production

Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:33 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Michael Blue wrote:
So, as some of you may know, I've been researching and asking questions here for a bit in preparation of buying my first Stick......I remembered one of the very first times I ever heard of or saw a Stick was a Peter Gabriel ......This is simply the single most influential concert to my music. I had been a Peter Gabriel fan for a long time ........now I see "Mr. Tony Levin". ..... Not only did his playing greatly influence how I play (and program) bass, but this album, and others by Peter, greatly influenced my style on the drums as well......... Enjoy.

Tony, if you're out there. You're the man. Thanks!

Peter Gabriel and Tony have influenced me as well in my synth and drum playing, such "funky get down groovin bass lines" with a strong back-beat get in your bloodstream and never leave.

Cliff

www.cliffordmarshallvanburen.com
www.youtube.com/user/DoubleBassDrumMusic
www.facebook.com/CliffordMarshallVanBuren

Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:38 pm
I always laugh at 1:21:08 during the Secret World Live DVD when Tony pops up again from the suite case. Wonderful player and wonderful person. So glad that I´ve had the opportunity to meet him and talk to him on a couple of occasions. Inspiring lad indeed.

//Jan

Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Michael Blue wrote:

I have that one on DVD, and it's one of the very few concert videos I have watched more than once or twice. Not only is it musically outstanding, it is also visually interesting.
My eight year-old son likes it, too (especially the suitcase thing).

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:35 pm
Contributor
Contributor

nashorn wrote:
Michael Blue wrote:

I have that one on DVD, and it's one of the very few concert videos I have watched more than once or twice. Not only is it musically outstanding, it is also visually interesting.
My eight year-old son likes it, too (especially the suitcase thing).

Yup, I listened to the double CD 100's of times, literally. This concert is in my blood.
I almost feel sorry for my family when this gets here. They're going to have to sit through it at least once, and put up with my wearing headphones at my desk a lot. :)
Heck, this will probably be one of the first pieces of music I will practice my Stick to when I get it, since I know it so well and play by ear (equally with method support).

Hotshots Gallery
Reserve Production

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:37 am
Site Admin

I had met and very briefly chatted with Tony Levin some years ago when his band played at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano, CA. I primarily wanted to get his permission to put up the chapter "In the Beginning" from his book Beyond the Bass Clef. Really friendly and gave me permission as I told him about this site and how it was authorized by Emmett Chapman to use his trademarks, etc.

I haven't seen him on this site, unfortunately, but at least his chapter is. Link to it on the home/portal page, left side menu under Articles, Beyond the Bass Clef. BTW, his book is a fun read.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Tony isn't really much of a gear guy. You're not gonna get much out of him on specifics of his instruments and in some cases, he probably doesn't even really know or care. His specifics generally consist of "this one felt right".

I did an opening set for him back in 2007 and he was much more interested in chatting about the pending Giants/Patriots game that was happening the following afternoon.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
gpoorman wrote:
Tony isn't really much of a gear guy. You're not gonna get much out of him on specifics of his instruments and in some cases, he probably doesn't even really know or care. His specifics generally consist of "this one felt right".

I did an opening set for him back in 2007 and he was much more interested in chatting about the pending Giants/Patriots game that was happening the following afternoon.

Yeah he doesn´t seem to be too interested in gear. I met him in England some years back and we talked about tea/coffe, Harley bikes, dog sledge racing and swedish author Henning Mankell mostly. :lol:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:05 pm