It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:17 pm

Original Voice 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Original Voice
Trey Gunn playing through an EHX MicroSynth(?) and Phil Jones Suitcase, followed by some thoughts on pursuing original voice. Thanks for sharing, TG.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii5zyu6B01g[/youtube]

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Original Voice
That's a great speech! I tend to return to this video now and then for inspiration.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

This video's really inspiring, and Trey is occasionally very funny as well.

Steven on Youtube
Steven on Sound Cloud

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Really great stuff. Reminiscent of some TED Talks. Trey would be great at TED.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:44 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I wonder how we all feel about his statement that only 6 people in the world play like "that".

I'm a bit surprised about it. I mean we all play like ourselves so we are all unique. But what he is doing is based on Emmett's methods and discoveries and creations. He's very good at what he does, but....... I feel like there are a lot of other people who are also very good at least "Hundreds" unless he is pigeonholing his playing into some sort of "crimsonesque" catagory. I mean I suppose if Fripp wanted to start a new Crimson without Gunn or Levin he would have a bit of a short list to choose from.

However, If he is talking about a high level of playing on a "free hands": method instrument then there a LOT more than 6 people. I agree with a lot of what he is saying but I don't think that abandoning tradition completely for "origional voice" is a good idea. We can lewarn a lot from others.

Brett

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

+1 brett. totally agree.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I never for a second got that he was talking about the Free Hands method! I still think he was talking abut "a personal and unique expression of creativity". His method for succeeding in that is "the toolbox method". I do agree though with Brett that Trey is not so alone in that department, we all constantly refine our own toolbox and when creating we make our choices out of the toolbox. The opposite to being creative with that method is to be genre specific, and I think he mentioned that in the video (and a vast genre knowledge can as well be used as a toolbox for creativity). As I see it it is of less importance if one happens to use the Free Hands method, a plastic trumpet or whatever else to create a unique personal expression.

An interesting aspect Trey never brought up is the risk of becoming trapped inside ones own toolbox :-)

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm sure that Trey refers to the specific 'piece' he was playing (4 based rhythm in the left and then a 7 based rhythm on the right) and not the playing method / instrument type. In this context, I 100% agree with him; there aren't many tappers capable of playing and improvising on poly-rhythms to the level of Trey Gunn (may be more than 6 but certainly less than 12) and applying that as central element of his compositions / music vocabulary (2 or 3 that I can think of).
I never heard Trey minimizing or dis-respecting the Stick or Emmet, he just moved on to an instrument that he felt is better suited for his playing style, sound and music.
Bret, think you are over sensitive on this ;-)

My 2 cents, Daniel.

PS: Excellent playing and some good concepts in the speech, great video :)

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:44 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I was just unsure what he meant. I'm still unsure, I guess only Mr. Gunn himself could answer my questions.

I guess I always thought of him as being world class as a musician, but not the most innovative. Maybe I need to listen to more of his solo stuff. Most of what I've heard is derived from what Crimson was doing in 1981.

But, he is on another planet musically from where I'm at so maybe I just don't understand what he's doing that is unique regarding "original voice" Metheny original, Jaco original. Miles original, Emmett original (all in an innovative sense). What Gunn is doing is astounding and It's incredibly difficult, and yes he has made it his own............so I guess I just don't understand the semantics of what he was saying maybe he's not claiming innovation.

I don't feel I'm sensitive, just curious. But honestly most of these type of concepts are beyond me intellectually, so explainations may not help :(

Brett

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

This was great. I had never seen it before. Is it weird that I took notes?

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:24 pm