It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:57 am

Stick Men - Deep 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Stick Men - Deep

So... Today I found an envelope with this CD in my mailbox. I've already forgotten that I donated for it on pledgemusic.com. I had a link to digital download for some time already, but forgot about it as well :D Now, when I had the CD in my hands, I finally had no excuses for not listening to it :lol: (except for, maybe, that I don't have any CD players or drives in my place for years already :roll:).

= Warning - personal opinion ahead =

I can describe "Soup" with one word - 'Fresh'. It was good, it was very interesting and vastly discussed, the title track is fun, and also great job with the Firebird suite covering, but still it sounded too rough to me. At least for what you could expect from such experienced musicians.

I found "Absalom" much better and more interesting. Really love it, especially the title track and the Big Dog. Wish the album was a bit longer.

Never could make myself listen to "Open", can't tell why. Maybe I will finish it one day.

So... I put the CD in my crappy car stereo and was blown away from the first seconds of "Nude Ascending Staircase" and kept rapt till the last of "Whale Watch". "Rapture of the "Deep"", haha :)

It is the best Stick Men release to date. It is perfectly polished, perfectly "whole", there are no "weak" tracks. Sound/mixing/mastering is great too, distorted stick doesn't sound "rough" to me any longer.

I dare say it is one of the best prog releases last years. Maybe next to "Clockwork Angels" :roll:

And, indeed, it is inspiring, that's why I post this here in "Inspirations".

Damn, I should quit using so much smileys.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Stick Men - Deep
With a quick listen, I added that to my next round of CD's.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jQGrpNXAqc[/youtube]

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

FuzzyJammer wrote:
I can describe "Soup" with one word - 'Fresh'. It was good, it was very interesting and vastly discussed, ....

Never could make myself listen to "Open", can't tell why.........

It is the best Stick Men release to date. It is perfectly polished, perfectly "whole", there are no "weak" tracks. Sound/mixing/mastering is great too, distorted stick doesn't sound "rough" to me any longer.

I dare say it is one of the best prog releases last years. ......

Same with me > Soup really good, Open .... well .... did not work for me. (Pat told me they did Open in about a day - hmmmm)

Now - this one on Deep is Great!!!!!! I will have to get it - this is the type of music I like to create.

Cliff

www.cliffordmarshallvanburen.com
www.youtube.com/user/DoubleBassDrumMusic
www.facebook.com/CliffordMarshallVanBuren

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:06 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

That is a bitchen track, thanks for posting.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I was also a pledger for this. I think it's a great album. Looking forward to seeing the DVD whan the physical thing arrives here in the snowy UK 8-)

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:41 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ordered!

The thing I liked the most about Soup was that it introduced me to Michael Bernier. Good stuff.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:56 am