It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

New cynic e.p and that other e.p too 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post New cynic e.p and that other e.p too
Okay, I needed to vent about how much I hate the semi new cynic direction. I already raved to Jibilian about this haha. But seriously for a band that we are this into it just sucks. The vocalist has taken over with terrible emo vocals and while the musicians are still sick as hell they just can't come up with the goods anymore. So Focus is brilliant, thats the only record that really created the hardcore fans like me and Jibillian, and then they reform without their stick player/bassist to tour and write new songs that suck, but with great friggin musicianship, arghh. Sean Malone needs to come back and write some sick Stick parts man, its silly he is so "tasteful" or whatnot, cause in the end we will have such few actual stick parts(or fretless bass for that matter) that are up to their potentiel. I mean anything they touch will sound pro and have nice harmonies and whatever but there is this essense that they have lost. Truly no offense to them as peeps cause they have grown up and whatever and are super nice> besides the vocalist. He has taken too much E, or some other substance haha,something is up tho.
Okay with that said, do ya'll feel as passionate about cynic as me? "Focus" till death...

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:18 pm

Post Re: New cynic e.p and that other e.p too
Ok... Which Cynic albums are you talking about besides Focus?
Traced In Air came out several years ago, so I'm not sure if that's what
U mean by "new direction" in their sound. Now, if it's the Portal Tapes
that ur talking about, I can understand your issue, but that material
was originally recorded for a new project separate from Cynic, long
before even Traced In Air. Re-Traced is a collection of
remixes/reworkings indeed w/o Sean Malone, and his absence is
evident. Finally there is Carbon Based Anatomy, and that's a mixed
bag, at best. I'm a huge Cynic fan, I have all their stuff, and while
I do love Focus and it's intensity, I prefer Traced In Air, as, at least
IMHO, it keeps some of Focus's intensity, while revealing to us what
ProgMetal could be from a different perspective. Not to mention there
are chords in it that would make Lord Fripp pause and say "nicely done!"
I am very interested in your POV tho, there are too few mentions of
Cynic here.. Any Exivious, Spiral Architect, or Linear Sphere fans here?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:30 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Im talking the RE-traced 2010, as well as carbon based anatomy 2011. Now traced in air was good, but still the vocals are terrible. Keep in mind I love the robot/vocoder vocals they used to do as well as the brutal vox. I think he switched to a more auto tunish(read cher/brittany haha) kind of vocoder effect on traced in air and has kept that since then. I think he switched to that effect to sound clearer and whatnot, also it tracks his voice and does not have to use guitar synth/vocoder so thats at least partly why he switched. That and his robot soul has left him in the emotional pitfall of weak yearning/expressive vocals(aka whiny) Blam haha

Spiral architect has great music but whoofta that vocalist dare I say is worse than the newish cynic. Their one album was friggin legengary though and I have to say it is amazing. Mad props to that bassist and their weird ass time signatures!

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:16 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

here is the hit song from the one: can u say emo college post rock. But dam them for still throwing in cool parts. This in my opinion is no longer cynic. Sorry but I think are gone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3IauI1_3TI

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:23 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

And here is without the unbelievable sound quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5UUBIkwDNQ

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:32 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sure Focus is a kind of milestone but I do love every records the made, and especially Carbon-Base Anatomy. It's different from their previous works, but, hey, you can ask a band to do the same music it made 20 years before. ;)
I saw them in a club for the Traced in Air european tour, and it was a blast, very "energetic".

Off topic, if you're into this kind of "avant-garde" metal, I recommend my fave band, Arcturus from Norway, especially with La Masquerade Infernale album, one of the 5 best albums I own.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Hails Grozeil! Zall good I feel you, I guess my soul is cold and black haha. I don't want focus pt 2, well actually I do but I am all about progression and trying new things. As long as its dope 8-)

Now we are talking with Arcturus bro, that for example has brilliant vocals just so ya'll don't think Im totally anti vocalist. I'd agree that is a black metal prog masterwork. The freakking vibe is so bleak and killer. Their other albums were interesting avant garde but alas cannot hold a flame to their first classic album.

Ulver had some neat early work as well, then got all "experiemental' which whilst it should be a good thing more often then turns into "self absorbed artsy garbage". I am guilty of this sometimes too tho.

Phish is another example of falling off the bandwagon, in 93-95 they were THE most progressive improvisational group off all time(based on the jams NOT songs) Shit was like fusion, funk and they almost invented new genres each peak show. I challenge any phish hater to listen to the stash or tweezer from "a live one" and tell me its not at least some of the most original improv. Now the guitarist wants to be clapton and play lame ass "singer songwriter' weakness, solo all the time( well he was guilty all along of that) and ballads up the wazoo.

I look forward to the day when I can enjoy boring emotional ballads about love and heartbreak. Until then I am an unholy demon I guess.

Hmm on the proggy extreme stuff I'll give it some though here...

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:56 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Check out braindrill for insane riffing, behold for prog instrumental metal, ummm need to think...

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:59 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Well you maybe could rename your topic, so we could share here some weird music here, I guess we're sharing a common background, even if I think I'm more open-minded than you :lol: :lol: :lol: I can (and I do) switch from wild blasphemous pagan death metal from Sweden (Unleashed) or Netherlands (Asphyx) to arty black metal (Ihshan) or avant garde austrian oddness (Korova, Angizia) to arty music (Ulver is just god on earth), to old french left-wing oriented singers, to contemporary music (just check out the incredible Cycle des Vents from the french band Elend) to funky stuff a la Charlie Hunter to world music (check out the hurdy-gurdy Steve Vai, Valentin Clastrier), etc, etc... you name it. I even just come back tonight from a folk festival populated with bearded canadian guitar players with woodcutter shirts, and just now find normal to switch between those esthetics (and my 5 old little boy already loves that schizophrenic behaviour). ;)

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Why dont we friggin collaborate man, we both have good taste. Does any style in particular intrigue you at the moment? I'm doing over the top emotional 80's cocaine fueled MIDI guitar looping, and then looping silly technical stick on top. ITs like if madonna got a stick and went insane. Samples soon....Im also doing solo stick sets with WAY over the fx and looping, pretty messed up I think haha.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:16 pm